1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRC Error (I swear its not a scratched disk)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by SilverNL, Oct 17, 2007.

1. SilverNL

SilverNL Member

Alright, so I keep getting a cyclic redundancy check error. So I googled that and found out that its generally a scratched disk thing. So I tried about 15 other DVDs. It will ALWAYS stop at 41% and give me the CRC error. ALWAYS 41%. On every DVD.

So obviously its not a scratched disk, because I tried brand new ones, ones I had backed up before and worked fine, and every other option i could think of.

So I assumed maybe this is is a hardware thing and my disk drive is messed up. So I have 2 drives that I can use, I switch to the other, because obviously both can't be broken right? Nope. Stops at 41% on like 15 DVDs again. (Not to mention both of these drives play music, movies, and games perfectly. So obviously they're fine...)

So i uninstalled and reinstalled DVD Shrink just because I tend to have stupid problems that are easy to fix like that. No dice.

Anyone able to help me out here? What could cause a CRC other than scratched disk or bad drives?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  2. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

3. SilverNL

SilverNL Member

I really would prefer to try to get DVD Shrink working again before I start looking at different programs.

I <3 DVD Shrink.

4. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

the reason i gave you the link was to rule out a protection issue. if dvd fab works then dvd shrink alone can not handle the movie.
    which sometimes causes crc issue.
    ripp to hd with dvdfab. open shrink as normal load movie and burn as normal

5. SilverNL

SilverNL Member

I tried backing up disks I had already successfully backed up before to make sure it wasn't a protection problem. If I did it 2 weeks ago, it hasn't magically sprouted protection since then.

What makes me think that this isn't a 'normal' CRC error is that it stops at 41% EVERY time during analysing. If it was a scratch, or protection... it wouldnt stop at the same spot on every DVD.

6. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

A "CRC" error is most often caused by bad media - it could be any of the following:

1. A dirty disc,
    2. A scratched disc
    3. A poor quality disc (cheap media if it happens during the "Burn" section of your work)
    4. A bad disc from the Mfgr.

It can also be from a bad optical component in your drive

lets see you reinstalled it.. tryed both drives and still does not work .
    is the only progam you own? maybe nero recode or other app?
    now is this during encoding process or analsis?.
    have you check pio/dma mode?

maybe some other member can shed some more light for you.
    if it was me i try dvdfad hd. then shrink anyway. i like this way better than shrink by itself

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

What brand discs are you using? Did you verify them after burning to disc the first time around?

8. puternerd

puternerd Member

I've been having the same problem. It does it whether I rip the disc to the HD first or use ripit4me. It doesn't seem to matter. I have uninstalled and ran CCleaner and reinstalled and it still does it. I don't need it as a ripper, just a shrinker. Are there any other decent shrinkers out there?

9. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

peturnerd
    did you try all the steps about for your issue?
    nero recode.. pretty much same as shrink but newer

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

DVDCopy 5 from InterVideo, CloneDVD 2 from Slysoft, as mentioned, Nero's Recode 2, and DVDFab Platinum are all good transcoding programs (shrinkers). All mentioned incorporate their own burning program and DVDFab Platinum includes the ripper (same as the free DVDFab HD Decrypter). None are free, but they all have good trial periods. If you have Nero with Recode already installed, I'd suggest it. But if not, Nero is a large program pack, I'd go with something like DVDCopy 5 or CloneDVD 2. Try one of the trials and that should give you an idea if it's a problem with the Shrink software or something interfering with the system.

11. puternerd

puternerd Member

I just bought the newest version of Nero today. But I didn't know Recode would do shrinking. Thanks for the info.

12. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

puternerd
    i believe there are some nice guides around for recode if you need them let me know

13. puternerd

puternerd Member

Yeah, that would be great. I've started reading the manual too.

14. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

puternerd
    heres a guide .scroll down till you see recode,there is alot of info here. read carefully
    at the end of recode for destination. i burn to disc - not hd folder.
    hope it helps.

if i remember correct the maker of shrink works for nero and made recode..