1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crc error joy

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Skaal-tel, May 10, 2004.

1. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel Member

Alright, I've searched the forum already and read all the crc error related threads... So- they all appear to be dirty discs or damaged discs. Understandable. I was wondering if it was typical to be able to fully encode the original dvd to a .iso file but not be able to actually BURN that .iso file. The file in question seems to work perfectly when "virtually" mounted on my hard drive. Any suggestions?

I'm using an lg4082b dvd+/-rw/ram drive. whee!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

So you're getting the CRC when ripping or when you try to burn? What are you using to burn the file? Is this a new problem?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: May 10, 2004
  3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy and Welcome to our little Club,

As was stated, you're missing a bit of information -

Your Cyclic Redundancy error can be caused by scratched, dirty or cheap media.
    1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, stutters, pixelats, partially jams, may be rejected and lest we forget, our old standby, giving you the old just refuses to be recognized routine :-(

Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(

A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    “Branded” Ritek G04's or Branded Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.

It can also be tossed in there to cover for other short comings -

1. What is the size of your ISO file ?
    If it's over 4.36GB it's too large to burn. A 4.7GB disc can't hold that amount (false advertising).

2. If it's over 4.36GB, reduce it using DVD Shrink (FREE) then burn using DVD Decrypter (FREE).

3. Do you have Roxio or other conflicting software on board ?

4. ISO burning, a bit more than burning VOB's, has a tendency to be more of a hog about resources, if you have too much running in the background you'll begin having trouble until you cut some stuff free.

To help you out we need to know what programs you're using to burn, what size your ISO is - media you’re using and other programs on board that could be butting heads with your burning software.

Cheers,

Pete

4. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel Member

okey-doke! no problem. I'm using dvd decrypter to both copy and burn the discs. the ISO images it produces are 4.35 as you say.

I'm willing to bet it's media- except that I can use them for regular old data backup no problem. I've got 4 or 5 discs with anime on em just fine.

however- I'll go get some dvd media. I'll check the dvd media forum here. Or perhaps I'll pick up a couple dvd ram/+rw and try it with those.

and neph- it's not a new problem, this is the first time I've tried burning an image file. I only got the burner a week ago - I figured a ~$100 cdn all-media burner was a deal too good to pass up :)

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Ol Pete gave you the skinny alright :) Good media is paramount to good burns. Try some of the stuff he recommended. Low grade discs are usually fine for data but when you start burning video the good stuff is required.

LG burners can be real persnickety so that may be a factor. Have you tried updating the firmware? It may help. Here's a link:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

I believe your model is listed there.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: May 12, 2004
  6. Braxas

Braxas Member

Also what motherboard chipset are you running? Are your optical drives listed as being in Ultra DMA Mode 2 under device manager? Just the simple things can cause problems from time to time. I'd say if your burner can do all 3 types of media I'd go for some Ritek G04 DVD-R's or some of the Ritek/Ridata DVD+R's. Ritek makes good compatible media and most burners should recognize them without too much of a problem plus they won't cost you an arm and a leg to buy like some of the other good brands. :)

One thing to mention, and I just discovered this today, is http://www.supermediastore.com has a sampler pack for either DVD-R media or a sampler pack for DVD+R media. A couple discs each of different brands, about 10 discs per pack. It's a great value to find out exactly what media your burner finds the most acceptable.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Braxas,

You absolutely want your optical drives listed as being in Ultra DMA Mode 2 - should you suffer too many faults with your drive it may change it’s settings to PIO mode which will require you to uninstall the drives and let your PC reinstall them again to get back your DMA settings -

Cheers,

Pete

8. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel Member

ok- I'm no stranger to computers. However I can't find any listing of any kind of dma mode in the device manager. I get dvd region, driver details, etc. Unless I missed it the dma mode is not listed.

as for the firmware:

"RPC1 Firmwares based on A201 DOS, A203 DOS, A204 DOS, and A204 Windows (RPC1 and Auto-Reset)"

whats all that about?

I'm not going to pick one till I know which one for sure. Firmware updates are iffy. 'specially since these are "hacked". And in ANY case- I'm not too worried about burning japanese dvds. Region 1 will do fine, thx ;)

I'll see about some good dvd-rs. I'll keep you posted- thx for the help.

and just in case you folks are interested- the drive is put into this computer. check it out :)

9. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Check "Repeated DMA errors" - This is our most common problem by far. When deleting Drives etc., If PIO is your default you will be set there, if DMA is your default, the reset will make all the diference in the world :)

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

cheers,

Pete

11. Braxas

Braxas Member

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to make it sound like your drives should *not* be in Ultra DMA Mode 2. They certainly should be - I fought that battle for awhile myself before finally getting the drives to be consistently and regularly recognized in Ultra DMA Mode 2 - before that they were listed as Multi-Word DMA 2 and if I'm correct that is equal as PIO Mode 4 which is just evil. :)