1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Create Internal Network Website / Knowledgebase

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ShreddedWheat, Apr 25, 2016.

1. ShreddedWheat

ShreddedWheat Member

I would like to setup an internal knowledgebase site. A place for network users to visits and share posts.

I do not want this website accessible to the outside (internet) just people on the local network.

1. Can this be accomplished for free?

2. I installed wamp server on a windows 7 workstation and installed wordpress. This is as far as I have gotten. I was not able to navigate to the site from any client workstations. I don't know if this is the best way about going about this.

My main requirements are that this site is only available to people with access on the internal network , free, and place for network users to post comments.

Please direct me to some guide or options to use to build this.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Wheat

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

you build it in exactly the same way as you would build an external site.. except you put it on a restricted internal network ip address.. don't know how windows server stuff works (and pros like me wouldn't use it anyway because it's a) crap and b) insecure by design.. sooo..

you need to proper web service running.. even for an internal site.. I know LAMP which is industry standard.. sounds like you want blog or forums site. with potentially file hosting also through either browser or ftp program access... apache, mysql and php are requirements.. you restrict access to the wider web by blocking ANYTHING not on your host network (apart from obviously server os and applications updates or configs which you access the same way as you set it up using the rood/admin direct server account) through either the hosts file or iptables.. and it's as simple as that :D

You say you can't access the thing you have built.. but you don't say what you actually built apart from it being winblows.. is your web server actually running?.. did you remember to note it's "public" ip and open ports 80 and 8080 (or whatever you picked) for network traffic and allow that traffic through the router setup ??

3. ShreddedWheat

ShreddedWheat Member

Lets start from scratch since you probably know better than the bullsh!t tutorials I was following for LAMP and WAMP.

I honestly don't give a crap what OS you're partial too. Getting the bills paid is what matters to me.
    A deparment blog or forums site is what I want. Just a place where computers on the internal network can access and post relevant information for the department. I am testing this out at home first. I have an esxi server with running a few vms on it. CentOS.104 , Windows 7 .109 , and Windows server 2008 .102. Do you have any tutorials that would work with this setup?

Where should I start?

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

once you have your os setup it's a simple matter of finding the stuff you want to do with it.. Seems like you have a plan..

For forums you have quite a wide range which have basically the same requirements, a database of some kind (mysql/whatever.. dunno.. mysql is what I've always used) which the forum software can use. That gets set up when you install the forums back end.. not the pretty skin..

Looking at your first post I think you have a basic permissions fault somewhere. If you can access your blogs directly on the machine then it's likely to be a routing issue.. you have to allow limited remote access.. Do you remember coming across "subnet mask" in your server setup anywhere?.. it associates with your "hosts" file.. and specifies which machines or network of machines can connect to your server... lets say your network is 192.168.3.1 (that's the router.. it's dhcp service will be broadcasting on 192.168.3.255.. so your "hosts" will have to specify every ip in the range 1-255) This can get rather funkly as every network is slightly different. now if in your "hosts" file instead of naming an individual machine you set it to 192.168.3.1/255 .. then every machine with an ip between 1 and 255 can connect and pass data to and from your server.. obviously.. then we come to the machines internal firewall.. the "short" guide to iptables (firewall and routing table for packet handling) runs to some 600 pages.. that's the short version..

I think you will find many of your answers here.. every server and network has it's own strangely individual problems.. my home network refuses to allow my desktop to connect to my server when it has a static ip.. it swaps the wlan and lan interfaces to make the wired network primary and kills my internet connection which is wifi only DHCP from a remote router.. regardless of how I configure it in the config files.. so I have to run a router on my lan even though there are only 3 machines (web interface file share, media centre and desktop) and a switch on it. Everything pings.. nothing transfers.. bit like yours actually !!!

https://www.linode.com/docs/websites/apache/

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms345343.aspx

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...s-hosted-site-on-other-machines-on-my-network

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You guy's issue is a fairly simple fix,did you turn it off & on again :p
    Messsage brought to you by courtesy of the IT Crowd :D.Ok 1 I'll shut up now

6. ShreddedWheat

ShreddedWheat Member

I was able to install LAMP on CentOS and install wordpress.
    I followed this guide https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress-on-centos-7

I was able to navigate to the site from a client workstation on the same network. hooray! which was the problem I was having in my earlier posts.

Here is the next piece I need help with.
    Right now I am navigating to the site using the internal ip address. How can associate a different name to the ip address. Basically I want to call it something like http://Testwordpress.local instead of http://13.168.1.104/.

7. ShreddedWheat

ShreddedWheat Member

BUMP I tried changing the hosts files on my domain controller and the machine the Centos web server the website is running on. I cannot navigate to the site using the domain names I am choosing from client machines on the network, I can only get there using the IP address of the Centos web server from client machines.

Please help.

8. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

that sounds right.. now you need to assign that ip to a domain in the network routing table.. this is where my increasingly bad memory gets in the way.. I know I know how..done it lots of times.. but it's not there tonight...

What my brain is reaching for is along the lines of "assign internal domain from dns server".. or "nameserver assign name to ip" some networks have a nameserver, others don't.. think the ones which don't need a client to use the ip rather than a name.. "alias" also springs up in my fuzzy memory.. something from the apache setup.. somewhere.. you are asked if you want to assign a name and a domain to the server... apache site must have configs for that..

The nameserver can be run on the server unless the router takes care of that.. in which case you need to go into the router.. if the machine has an ip then it can also have a name (server1@office) or like this one.. Valkyrie-XIII@pandorasbox.home .. I set that up about a year ago.. how I did it I don't know now.. black holes..

sorry.. What I know used to be in my brain just isn't available to me at the moment.. maybe it'll come back.. I think the clues are in my post.. but I can't be sure.. not much point me going hunting around because when I find a site I will have forgotten what it was I was looking for...

(ddp and friends.. I'm slowly losing my brain here.. mostly I forget I've forgotten stuff.. took a couple of years and only found out because people started telling me how much I was forgetting almost immediately.. going through something 3 times over and still it's not storing.. but sometimes like now.. it's just not there.. and it's weird because I know I know the damn answer.. somewhere.. in a black hole.. the directory structure exists.. the data is missing... weird.. bad news.. just like my father.. old age.. grrrr)