1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating a DVD of DD & THX trailers

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by michael13, Aug 12, 2004.

1. michael13

michael13 Member

I have a collection of these trailers that are from the beginning of movies. I want to burn these to DVD for demoing. Whats involved in doing this? The files are about 25 megs average, downloaded in VOB format but when they saved they were as ".VOB.MPG" Do I just need to write these to the disc or use some special process?

Thanks

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You have to use a DVD authoring Program to Create a DVD from Video Files....
    I prefer "DVDLab" as it is easy to use and Has great Menu Features...You can not just Burn files to DVD and expect them to Play, they have to be authored with a DVD authoring Program that builds the DVD structure in a Video_TS folder and it then Burns the Folder to DVD.....
    If you want a program that is Extremely simple to use then try "Tmpgenc DVD author".....

Cheers

3. michael13

michael13 Member

Thanks for the reply. Another question I have, is there a specific reason why all of my movie trailers only equal maybe 500-600 megs, but the application I "was" using to burn said that it was too big to fit on the disc? I had it all setup properly, DVD was the media not VCD.... All the clips were not even close to the length of a movie. What am I doing wrong?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

What are you useing to Put these Trailers on to DVD...

It seems that the Trialers aren"t DVD Compliant and whatever program you are useing wants to re-encode them and after re-encodeing the Video wouldn"t fit on the DVD...

Post back with the Resolution and audio formts for these files and I"ll tell you if they are DVD Compliant...Cheers

5. michael13

michael13 Member

I was using DVD builder from Roxio. It did come up and say that it was "encoding". Audio stream was DD5.1, I forget the res. I think this software automatically encodes though, and it doesn't support ac3.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Programs Like Roxio and Nero vision express and Many others Total Crap programs Like that Only Support 1 DVD Format when there are actually 4 different ones that can be used based on the Resolution of your Source Files...
    That is why I asked the Resolution of these Files because if they are one of the DVD Compliant Resolutions then you do not need to re-encode the Files and re-encodeing Ruins the Quality especially if the Encoder has to Up=Size the Resolution pluss Most Crap Programs Like Roxio do not even support the Most Common DVD Audio Formats Like Dolby AC3 which just Proves that the Software is Crap....

That is why I suggested you Just load the Mpeg files into DVDLab because it Supports all of the DVD Resolutions and all of the DVD audio formats and will Never under any circumstances re-encode your Files and Ruin them....

And if for instance the files use the SVCD Resolution then you can still put them on DVD without re-encodeing them....

7. KingCrim

KingCrim Member

If you want to create a really professional demo DVD with Dolby trailers, I would advise you to use DVDLab [bold]Pro[/b]. The program isn't finished yet, but you can download a free 30-day beta (currently b10). The reason for this is that most Dolby trailers come in different aspect ratios (4:3 and 16:9) and formats (PAL -> 720x576 and NTSC -> 720x480). If you were to put all those different trailers into one standard VTS (Video Title Set), you would end up with a DVD that isn't compatible with most DVD players (maybe new models could display it correctly, but definitively not the older ones). Symptoms: fucked-up video and breaking-up sound for some trailers, and all trailers displaying in only one aspect ratio.

The proper way to do it is to create four different Video Title Sets:

VTS 1: 4:3 NTSC (720x480)
    VTS 2: 4:3 PAL (720x576)
    VTS 3: 16:9 NTSC (720x480)
    VTS 4: 16:9 PAL (720x576)

Put the trailers into the appropriate Video Title Set and then create one or more VMG-menus (standard VTS-menus are useless with a multi-VTS-DVD). You end up with a perfect DVD that is compatible with all players (maybe except for the non-multistandard ones, that is PAL or NTSC only), with appropriate aspect ratio for each trailer. Works a treat!

8. michael13

michael13 Member

Does the pro version do all this for you? I made the disc and it did what you said, some videos worked, others were screwed up and some went to pro logic from DD5.1. I don't know what happened.

9. KingCrim

KingCrim Member

Yes, the pro version does all that. Do a full demultiplex when adding the vobs to the assets - that way dvdlab performs a full check, so you can be sure the video and audio in all the vobs is dvd-standard compatible and will give you no trouble later on.

10. michael13

michael13 Member

Does that mean I have to start again with my project? re-enter all the video clips etc? I only just started using this software so I'm pretty new to it.

11. michael13

michael13 Member

Also would like to have the background music in the menus not start again everytime I highlight a different menu.

12. KingCrim

KingCrim Member

No, you don't have to start again, providing you did full demultiplexing from the start - or you have to live with the risk that some vob files are gonna be incompatible with some standards (for instance I recently d/l a trailer where the sound was 44 kHz and not 48 kHz, which I only noticed after fully demultiplexing the vob file). You can also save your project in dvdlab and load it into dvdlabpro without any problem. You can also copy all the directories containing pictures/sounds/buttons etc. from the dvdlab folder to the dvdlabpro folder and they get recognized immediately by the program.

13. michael13

michael13 Member

I don't think I did the demultiplexing on any of them.

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can Simply use something like "DVD Patcher" to Patch all of the Aspect ratio Headers in the Vob files to the same aspect ratio then all of the Files should Play properly...I have done this a few times and I never had a problem.....

15. michael13

michael13 Member

DVD patcher part of the DVDpro software?

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

DVD Patcher is a Tool used to Patch headers in Mpeg2/Vob files..It is a Freeware tool..

You just Load your Vob/Mpeg2 file into it and you will have the Option to change everything from the Bitrate headers to the Resolution headers and Aspect Ratio headers and even the Frame rate...

The headers are Flags built into the Video stream that tell your DVD player how to Disply the file it is reading...If you were to change the aspect ratio header then the DVD Player would display the Video in that aspect Ratio...
    If you author a DVD with Multiple Different aspect Ratios your DVD Player might not play them all but if you Patched the headers in the Files so every file has the same aspect ratio then the DVD player should Play them all because they all have the same aspect ratio...
    Is the Type of thing you should test first to make sure all of the files still look OK after Patching the headers....If it doesn"t look OK you can allways Patch the header back to what it was before...

Cheers