1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating an MP3 Disc with A DVDr that will play in a MP3 player

Discussion in 'Audio' started by pastorlem, Jan 19, 2004.

1. pastorlem

pastorlem Guest

Creating an MP3 Disc with A DVDr that will play in a MP3 player, or DVD player that supports MP3 discs. Anyone know how?

I have a portable MP3 player that plays all my MP3 discs, and an APEX AD-1500 that does the same. But will not play MP3 Disc's burnt on DVDr, even though it reads DVDr discs.

Any help appreciated.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

cool nice thought , i have an mp3player in my car and i thought yep it should be able to do what you suggest.But its not that simple i was told that you need another piece of equipment.Give me a couple of days and i will have an answer as to what you need .Cant recall what it is but in australia the price tag was around 1800 dollars.

sorry the answer isnt that precise

andmerr

4. pastorlem

pastorlem Guest

Thanx for your assistance brother, I appreciate it.

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

thats ok by the way have you tried to get your mp3s on to a dvd-r.At the last try i succeeded in getting about 917 onto a 4.7 gig disc.By doing this in my car well it makes cd stackers obsolete, But you know they actually have made i think in a jvc model a mp3 stacker

thought you might like a useless piece of info

andmerr

6. pastorlem

pastorlem Guest

I tried it on a DVD-r. Wouldn't play in my portable MP3 player, or my APEX ad-1500(even though it claims it can play DVD-r's). Play on the comp just fine.

7. pastorlem

pastorlem Guest

Regular MP3 discs work fine in both, thought i'd add that in.

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

it would probably be : it has dvd-r playback compatability but without this other unit it will only be cd-r playable.MP3 players actually convert raw data into digital audio when on cd-r disks but dvd-r are a little bit more sophisticated.

todays sat. I will be able to find out what you need and i will post tonight more than likely

andmerr

9. pastorlem

pastorlem Guest

Once again, thanx brother. You the MAN.

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

well there is some good news and then there is some bad
    what would you like 1st

saw the guys and asked my question.This is where it currently stands. Your portable mp3 will be useless to you if you try to use discs that are meant for dvdr.

Mp3 on dvdr can be played as long as the device is more or less dvd player.(Whether that is pc or standalone)

Still trying to get solid info on this and i guess we will have to take a wait and see approach and. With monday a public i prob wont be able to access any one til mid week.

By the way the delay is the bad news

catchya

andmerr

11. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

It is not possible to burn MP3 to a DVD-R and have them read in portable MP3 players, or DVD players.
    A DVD player looks for the Video_TS directory, or the Audio_TS directory if it is DVDA capable.
    If it cannot find either of these, it then looks to see if the disc is a CD-R.
    DVD uses UDF2 as it's disc protocol, so if your mp3 player cannot read this then it will never work.

12. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

My DVD player plays MP3's burned to DVD disks any type +r -r whatever.. It only supports a certain amount of MP3's to a disk though which really sucks.. My PS2 plays as many MP3's as I can stuff on a DVD disk..

Matt

13. pastorlem

pastorlem Guest

Motomatt, what kind of DVD player do you have, brotherman???

14. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I have a Mitsubishi DD6030.. I would not recomend it though because it only allows a certain amount of MP3's to be burned on a DVD. It's like 247 I beleive which is a total waste of a DVD. I dont know why they even bothered.. Like I said before my PS2 will play all the MP3's I can store on a DVD disk..So I stick with it

Matt

15. pastorlem

pastorlem Guest

Thanx for the quick response.

For the PS2, do you have to burn the DVD-R MP3 disc a special way? Any particular program? Any certain brand of Disc? And what model is your PS2? Any modifications?

My e-amil is goatheads@charter.net, or just reply here.

Once again, thanx for the response. Very helpful.

16. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Just burn as a DATA disk with your mp3's. My Ps2 does have a DMS3 Mod I beleive its a version 7. I use a home brew program called PS2 reality media player. U need a mod chip to do this by the way.. Sorry I wasn't sure then but I know now..

Matt

17. pastorlem

pastorlem Guest

Thanx again brother. I appreciate it.

18. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

First one I have ever heard of.
    The problem is how the player reads the disc, and MP3 discs look like CD-ROM to a DVD player. Maybe this is why the thing will only access a limited amount of tracks.
    The most cost effective way to utilise DVD for music, assuming that compression is not an issue, is to use Dolby Digital 2/0.
    Just done one of these for a friend, and have fitted over 24 full albums to one disc, and there is room for more.

19. qii

qii Guest

Could you please elaborate?

I would like to convert WAV files on to 4.3GB DVD media such that that a stand alone Pioneer DVD player (that does NOT play MP3s) will play them back.

Is there shareware that will do this for me?

20. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

No.
    The cheapest option is TMPGEnc DVD authoring at $100, but you must include video or graphical content in DVD-Video.
    Your files will need to be in 16/48 too. There are some players that will correctly play back 24 bit audio in DVD-Video, but only from analogue outputs due to various copy protection methods. IMO, the best app for DVD-Video with the most flexibility at an affordable price is Adobe's Encore DVD 1.01.

Or you could use DVD-Audio instead, providing your player supports it. My model is the DV565 which does. In this case, there is an app due out in March/April from Minnetonks Audio called discWelder Bronze at $99, that will author a single group in stereo at any resolution from 16/44.1 up to 24/192, and surround up to 24/48. The other versions are Steel, which is $495 but gives you all 9 groups, and therefore a theoretical 891 tracks and a lot more besides.
    Finally there is Chrome at $2500 which is a full featured Professional quality DVD-Audio authoring app.

My recommendation to you is to check your player and see if it does play DVD-Audio, and if it does get the discWelder application.

Feel free to email offlist, as we author DVD-Audio all day every day.
    Avoid the Audio on DVD-Video route though. It gets unnecessarily complicated for the purposes of putting your music onto DVD.

Hope this helps you.

The URL for discWelder is www.discwelder.com and you will need to go to the news pages for details of Bronze.
    :-}}}