1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating custom XMBs and Themes

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by zachier, Aug 15, 2007.

1. zachier

zachier Regular member

If I were to create a custom theme for my PSP, where should I start? Are there any tools, programs, etc. that I need? I'm quite artistic and I'm also quite familiar with Photoshop CS2, though I'm not sure if I'll be needing it for this matter.

Anyway, if any of you can help me get on my feet, I would really appreciate it. Thanks. ;)

2. shanemb

shanemb Regular member

well iv tried making a few xmb's if you dont mind 8-bit then you can do whatever you want in paint,really easy,just make 64x64 make a picture and replace it with an icon in topmenu_plugin.rco,it needs to be decrypted,or just use a custom one,you will also need a rco editor,i would like an easy tutorial on how to make 32-bit icons or photo's in paint shop pro,iv looked at a few sites,but i cant find half the stuff needed in paont shop pro,just got it the other day

3. zachier

zachier Regular member

I see. So it actually involves decrypting, then?

4. shanemb

shanemb Regular member

it does, unless you use a custom one,then its already decrypted,thats all i do,its very easy to do

5. zachier

zachier Regular member

So to avoid the hassle of decrypting, I just need an already decrypted file and just "alter" its contents with the ones I made... Is that what you're saying? I couldn't quite get it; sorry... >_<

Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere? If you know any, and if it's not too much to ask, can you direct me to it, please?

Thank you so much.

6. shanemb

shanemb Regular member

ok its nothing to complex,just download a custom xmb from anywhere,they will all have a topmenu_plugin.rco(this is the file that has all the icons in it) copy and paste it to your desk top so its easy to find,this is a site that has the editor i just quiky googled it for you http://community.hackingpsp.com/forums/7287/ShowPost.aspx
    for practice use paint,and make a 64x64 square and make a picture or draw something then save as 256 color (8-bit) to whatever you want and wherever you want, then open rco editor and open up the topmenu_plugin on your desktop pick an icon you want to replace,click replace and choose the one you saved,then drag that rco into you resource folder of you flash0 and click yes replace and your done

7. zachier

zachier Regular member

Thank you so much for all your help; I appreciate it. ;)