1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating DVDs for use in the PS3

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Barond14, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Barond14

Barond14 Member

Hello. I was hoping someone here could help. I have a bunch of video files that I normally burn using IMGBurn, and play through my ps3. Lately though I get a lot of corrupted data or unsupported data when clicking on some of the files once the disk is in the ps3. I just don't get why one avi file over another will play. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the best format and converter to use to do so is best for ps3 use.
    Also, I have a movie that is split into 3 parts. Xvid files. I'm guessing the 3 parts would play separately on the ps3 once burned but I'd rather it be one file, and not to lose data or quality once joined. Any suggestions?
    If anyone has any good advice for me and this ps3 problem, please post here. Thank you.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Link below mentions this:
    1) gmc
    2) qpel
    3) custom matrix
    1-3 are not allowed.

4) max size 2gb

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/281819-Divx-Xvid-Converting-for-PS3#1791074

GSpot will show if gmc and qpel are used.

If the AVI files are identical as to resolution etc, the can be joined (appended)using AviDemux.
    Just remember to give a full name to the output file (include the extension, e.g. Newfile.AVI)

If you happen to use AutoGK for AVI with PS3 compatibility, use Ctrl F9 to show the hidden options and check 'Enable standalone support' and 'Ess' (lower right of pane).

3. Barond14

Barond14 Member

Thank you very much. I will try this stuff out asap. In AVIdemux which format do I want to save the files> AVI unpack VOP? Regular AVI?

Just tried to save the files to one file with a bunch of pop-up errors so I selected mp4 instead. Bad idea? Mp4 choice gave me some audio error but said, continue anyway?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  4. attar

attar Senior member

Are the AVI files identical as to video, audio, and resolution.
    If they are not the same, they cannot be joined without recoding.
    If they are not the same, then they have to be individually recoded before attempting to join them.

[​IMG]

5. Barond14

Barond14 Member

The files are identical but I need to slecet a format still when joining them together. Lot fo options. UNpacked VOP, packed vop, avi, mp4, etc.

Here is where I'm at with trying these new programs. I took the 3 xvid files, ran them through autogk with the f9 options seleceted. I then took the 3 new files and combined them with avidemux, and the file created has no sound for the majority of the second half and the quality has gone down a bit.

6. attar

attar Senior member

When you load the AVI files, the left menu should read Video-Copy, Audio-Copy.
    If 'Avi,unpack VOP' popped up when the files were loaded, accept it and save the new file.

7. Barond14

Barond14 Member

It only popped up when I loaded the files because it asked me if it should and I said yes. Should I say no? I don't know what is going on. I load the first file...fine. I load the second and third and the sound is replaced by just loud buzzing noises and annoying sounds. All the files are fine on their own in the video folder I have. Audio is fine and everything when I play them individually.

8. Barond14

Barond14 Member

Ran Gspot. Looks liek everything si teh same but the audio part. Figures. Anything I cna do to keep them all the the same page there?

9. attar

attar Senior member

Did you try joining them in AviDemux before running through AutoGK.

10. attar

attar Senior member

You can load one file, set the format as AVI, leave Video at copy, then change the audio to the format you need and use filter and configure setting to make it the same as the other.
    Example:Audio MP3: Configure:CBR, stereo , 128. Filters:48000Hz.

11. Barond14

Barond14 Member

I did try to run them through avidemux before the whole autogk thing, but they would never play in my ps3.

12. Barond14

Barond14 Member

Tried that and still nothing. I get the first part of the video (which is the one diff. from part 2 and 3) and then the rest of the movie is just loud annoying noises. I just don't get it. May give up on this. I though I had set all the audio to mp3 liek the first part was, and still the same thing.

And what is VBR time map? When I put the first part in, the one with the working audio is says I should build VBR time map. Ignore it or...? And still not sure what hte unpacking deal is. When I put part and 3 in should I be unpacking the files liek it says?

Anyway to change audio of any of these so they match? So frustrating, but thank you soo much for responding to these annoying messages of mine.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  13. attar

attar Senior member

Those initial messages are related to the way the images and audio is stored - usually the default response is 'yes' - allow the program to handle it.
    you may get more/better responses by re-posting here.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/153