1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating Episodal DVD's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ken0042, Apr 17, 2003.

1. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I just started burning, and have had very little trouble making backups of my full length movies. When it comes to episodal DVD's like Star Trek TNG I seem to run into trouble. DVD X Copy wants to chop episodes right in the middle, and using DVDdecrypter and then DVD2one it wants to create individual disks for each episode. The later method works, but is not cost effective. I looked through the forums and haven't found much info. If anybody has had success with these types of DVD's, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share how you do it.

Thanks

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Episodal discs has been explained in other forums but I'll do a brief

Smartripper 2.41 -- FILE...select ALL .VOB .IFO .BUP files

DVD2One (I have v1.11...and I think there's only been some minor adjustments to 1.12) FULL-DISK Mode

I use Nero to burn but everyone has their favourite

3. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

OK, that might make a difference. I'm using DVD2one v1.02 It doesn't have a full disk mode.

The other program I found that works is using DVD Shrink v1.03 It allows me to either greatly compress my episodes, or copy 2 or 3 if I want onto one disk; with little or no compression.

I also like DVD Shrink because it rips and compresses all in one step, rather than having to manually do each step. That way I can set the computer to do it's thing, and leave it alone for a while.

I appreciate your help though, herbsman. Thanks.

4. herbsman

As long as you have a working solution Ken...all good mate

5. Disco_Stu

Disco_Stu Member

I have been trying to make DVD's of episodal television and have been having a lot of problems. I was trying to make a backup of the Simpsons season 1 using DVD Shrink (I have DVD X Copy, which has never worked, and I have lost four discs already), but didn't want to compress six episodes onto one disc. So I was going to put 5 on the first and 4 on the last two discs. The first disc worked fine. But when I tried to combine the 6th episiode with episodes from disc 2, I was told by Nero (I have the Pioneer 105 burner) that it couldn't. I think it had something to do with the fact that the files were named the same. SO I tried to change the names of some of the video and BUP files and that didn't work. So I combined some episodes from different discs and selected one of each of the TS.BUP and TS.IFO files, because it appeared that the burning wouldn't work without it.

The result was that my set top Panasonic DMR HS-2 burner could not play back the disc. My Malata 520 (an all region player) was able to play it back, but there were only two episodes (7 and 8) on the disc, both from disc 2 from the set. The single episode from disc 1 (episode 6) and another one from disc 2 (episode 9) were nowhere to be found.

How can I burn a DVD without following the exact structure of the layout of the original disc? Compressing six episodes onto one disc would not look good.

Also, and maybe this needs a seperate topic, how can I get DVD Shrink to properly convert a region? I made a copy of Ichi the Killer, Region 2 PAL, and the copy went fine. I changed the region to region 1. But it would not play back on my Panasonic set top player. The Malata played it fine. The same exact thing happened with the R2 of Intimacy. Is this a PAL thing? Is it because the Panasonic can't play back PAL and while DVD shrink can change the region, it can't convert PAL to NTSC?

6. Rosco_UK

Rosco_UK Member

Can I ask a question.

When you are compressing an episodal disk using Full Disk mode on DVD2One... will it sort out the menu..??? ie.. If you select Episode 2, will it still go to the right place...???

I'm struggling a bit there.

7. herbsman

Yes you should be able to function everything as normal.
    The extras (video footage if any) will be of an inferior quality compared to main episodes.