1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating ISO and BUP files for a VOB file to burn a DVD

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by free377, Jan 4, 2011.

1. free377

free377 Member

I have VOB files of a film but no IFO or BUP files, and Nero won't burn without or play right on a DVD player, right? Any way to create this with free easy to use software that has a guide somewhere with frame-pictures of how to do this? Or any other methods on what to do with a VOB file if I WANT to burn it and watch it one a DVD player?

Thank you!

2. attar

attar Senior member

Run IfoEdit, and on the bottom of the window, click 'Create IFOs'.

'Create 1 PGC only' and 'Create Chapter for each Cell'

Locate the folder containing the VOB files and open it.

Accept the defaults and 'OK' ('Destination for IFO, same as source' - I.E. the new IFO and BUP files will be in the same folder as the VOB files)

On the top pane, highlight VIDEO_TS.IFO then click 'Get VTS sectors'.
    When the process is finished, note that the top pane changes to show the old version on top and the new version below.
    [​IMG]

Highlight VTS_01_0.IFO in the last line (should be the fourth line from the top) and click 'VOB Extras'.

[​IMG]

Options

[ ] Strip Streams'
    [ ] Strip VobID's
    [X] Correct Vob-Unit (Navigation Pack) pointers in VOB-files
    [X] Correct original IFO files

VOB EXPERT Options

[X] Remove P-Uops
    [X] Remove Macrovision
    [X] Adjust Vob-Unit pointers.
    [X] Adjust Audio/Subp point.

Also, uncheck
    [ ] Auto-copy Menu Files to destination

Click "OK", and when it's done click "Save".
    It will offer to overwrite the IFO, say 'Yes'.

[​IMG]

Test the new title by using VLC (or other good media player) to navigate through the chapters.

3. free377

free377 Member

Wow, thanks, I will try again. I did create the IFO and BUP on ifoedit, but then burned and it would not play, but I did not do the other stuff after the first basic creation step. I will re-try that again tonight. Thanks for the thorough answer and screen shots!

4. free377

free377 Member

I did it all, made the IFO and BUP files (2 of each, right?) but neither DVD Shrink nor Fab Decrypter will recognize nor pull up the files--now what? Will it burn okay and play? Tried this yesterday at this stage and the DVD player said No VIDEO NO AUDIO.

5. free377

free377 Member

No good. After I do the 4th line with VOB extras, it says "No navigation pack found in VOB files! Looks like you're dealing with invalid VOB files". Yet it plays fine with VLC player!

6. free377

free377 Member

[Then I redid it and it went through without a hitch, so disregard that little bit. You DID miss 2 commands though, that come up when you press OK or SAVE, something like, "This will correct ALL IFOs," and "This will repeat BUPs," etc., so when I saw them they threw me for a bit as you did not mention they would pop up or how to answer them.

Okay, so I got a whole set for the film: 2 BUPs, 2 IFOs, and 1 VOB file. No other program will recognize it, but Nreo accepted it, and when I go home I will try to burn it onto a DVD-RW and see if it plays on my DVD player. I will let you know.

7. attar

attar Senior member

You select line four.
    Click VOB Extras, check/uncheck the boxes and click 'OK' and you immediately get the error or you click 'OK' and it makes the changes then gives the error.
    Or you make the final 'Save' and it gives the error??

8. free377

free377 Member

When I try to click OK after checking the various boxes (most of which are checked already) it says that about the VOB file. But I ran the first segment through Format Factory AGAIN and THAT VOB worked. I will try running part 2 of the film through FF again, then try to IFO it again. Thanks!

9. free377

free377 Member

I think
    I think I figured it out. The film was broken into 4 parts and when I labeled the files VTS_02_1.VOB, and just transferred that one ALONE, it must have meant "Hey, you have no VTS_01_1 here but you have a 2." SO now I have 4 separate files that I assume Nero will burn. But if they don;t play, I'll get back to you. Thanks!

10. free377

free377 Member

Too much for nothing. All in all, I'll keep them as mp4's and watch on a computer. The file, the VOB one, is too big to burn with Nero, and I can't split it now with DVD Flick as it does not recognize the VOB file--any splitters, FREE ONES, that can split the VOB file into 3 pieces AFTER I have gone through all of this on ifo edit? Help! Thanks~!

11. free377

free377 Member

PS: NONE of the supposedly "free" VOB splitters allow you more than 2 minutes of film time--do you know of any free ones that allow you to cut the full VOB file?

12. attar

attar Senior member

This is the link for the IfoEdit site.
    The procedure is slightly different here - but it works.
    VOB files are up to 1GB in size (are yours larger?).
    They must be named in sequence:
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    etc for IfoEdit to create the ifo files properly.

http://www.ifoedit.com/createifo094.html

13. free377

free377 Member

Yes, they are 2.67 GB
    And that guide sucks. It says there are 2 VOBS and then explains how to do it for 1 VOB and not the other!

14. attar

attar Senior member

It's not the guides fault.
    It's because the VOB files are over 1GB (and it's my fault because I assumed that they were 1GB or less too).

This link shows how VOB files from different DVDs are joined to make a new DVD - note how the files are renamed before starting.
    The problem is, it's assumed that they are 1GB or less - I'm not sure if it works with oversized files.

http://www.isobuster.com/tips.php?tips_page=4

If it does, you then use the new files in IfoEdit to create the ifo files.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will try it.
    What program outputs those oversize vob files anyway???

15. free377

free377 Member

Thanks! It's 2 early early Hitchcock films that I got as mp4's; when I transferred them to VOBs, they were 2.67 GB and 4.120 GB each.

And now I can;t even get the mp4s to be VOB's--ifoedit says it does not recognize them. I'm gonna stop as the mp4's on my 21" computer screen look great. Thanks for the help.