1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating my own subs for avi & editing subs of ogm & mkv video files

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by retroborg, Jan 1, 2008.

1. retroborg

retroborg Regular member

Hello,
    I have a selection of Japanese Anime & movies (Xvid, DivX & Mpeg2 encoding) primarily saved as *.avi file extension. I use Media Player Classic & Regular WinXp Media Player 11 to watch them.

I have the following 3 queries:

1. I would like to translate them my self and create my own subtitles from scratch in English as well as in Greek. I noticed that the soft subtitle file types supported by DirectVobSub, are *.srt & *.sub. Both have a different timing structure. What is the best tool to create my own software subs and the right timing so that the subs will be in sync with the voice speech of the Anime?

2. What is the best subs file type to save as, *.srt or *.sub? Or are they equal?

*.sub look like this:
    {600}{850} text
    {1932}{2030} text
    {2032}{2115}text.
    {2117}{2213}text

And *.srt look like this:
    00:02:40,327 --> 00:02:51,421
    text
    00:03:01,014 --> 00:03:02,266
    text
    00:04:00,991 --> 00:04:04,995
    text
    00:04:13,378 --> 00:04:14,838
    text

3. I Also have quite a few Japanese Anime in *.ogm & *.mkv file extensions that feature built-in soft subs in English which you can enable or disable using DirectVodSub.
    What I would like to do is add another set of subs in Greek which I will translate & type my self. So, the Anime will feature both English & Greek built-in subs which I’ll be able to enable or disable via DirectVobSub. Again what would be the best tool for this task?

Thanks in advance.

2. attar

attar Senior member

.srt are simple to create with the likes of 'Notepad', inasmuch as they consist of a line number and the start and stop times.

If 'Subtitle Workshop' is used to load the .srt it will automatically load the movie file (if they have the same name).
    The subs can then be modified on screen to fine tune the timing, then saved.

I believe that it may be possible to modify the text (E.G. greek) using the 'Settings' menu of 'Subtitle Workshop'.

Adding a new .srt subtitle stream to an MKV can be done with 'AviMUX GUI'.

Subtitle Workshop
    http://www.urusoft.net/downloads/subtitleworkshop251.zip

AVIMux GUI
    http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/#download