1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating your own forum??

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Shad, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Shad

Shad Regular member

Does anyone know a very good hoster that allows you to create a free forum and you can get cool skins and stuff? I need to spice up my site with a forum.

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Just enter 'free forums' into Google, I did it once and there's loads available.
    It looked a bit too complicated for me and I didn't know what to talk about so I thought 'well that was a crap idea' and abandoned it.

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Shad~~ Did you check with your present Web Host ??

Might be well worth it for you to move your site to BlueHost where they provide all the tools for creating a Forum on your web site !

Have a look at :-

http://www.bluehost.com/
    The PHP Forum is part of the bundle.

4. Shad

Shad Regular member

The problem though is that im just making a website for fun, i use tripod which as you know has free hosting because of all the ads they put on ur page.

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

When you are on the web for your own use --- you are using a certain amount of bandwidth --- Tripod gives you that privileges with FREE Hosting but they recuperate their investment by imposing banners on the pages you have ... That is normal business.

If you plan in opening a FORUM , depending on the popularity it receives that bandwidth could become very expensive (( ask the people at Afterdawn ~~ smiles)) --- so dont expect to be able to have a FREE ride with a decent Forum on the web !

Smiles !

You can always try this provider who will give you a Forum Template for FREE ( his banners will show up just like you have on Tripod )-- Read about it here :-

http://www.proboards.com/index.html

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2004
  6. Shad

Shad Regular member

never mind i made a forum already using this site: www.bbfreedom.com

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Phpbb are a one click Forum -- make sure you promote your forum as this supplier is very quick to pull the plug on Forum with little activity -- How he gets paid depends on the number of members you attract to your forum and their email address you provide automatically.

8. Shad

Shad Regular member

about that, whats the best way to promote my site/forum because as of now, im getting posts only from me and my friend which i put as a super mod.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD 2800+ @ 2.4ghz
    ASUS nForce2 A7N8X-E Deluxe
    GIGABYTE nVIDIA GeForce FX5950 ULTRA
    Main HD: MAXTOR/QUANTUM 73.4GB 15,000RPM SCSI HARD
    Storing HD 1: Fujitsu 147GB 10,025RPM SCSI Hard Drive
    Storing HD 2: MAXTOR/QUANTUM 147.1GB 10,000RPM SCSI HAR[/small]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Promoting a site involves having it listed on as many search engines as you can -- when you put up a website , there is in your html a very important item , most people do not bother with !! It's called the meta section which is inserted in the Head of your HTML .
    An example of this is this FORUM here -- Assuming you are using Internet Explorer , click VIEW and select source on this page.

You will see that this site has a Meta section which is properly filled so Search Engine can easily pick it up when people are surfing the web and querying !

Then you register your web site with those Search Engine !

Do not forget that Search Engine will require that you submit a theme and appropriate descriptive nomenclature pertaining to the activities of the FORUM you want accepted.

By the way , what is the purpose of your FORUM , you just created?

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2004
  10. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

11. Shad

Shad Regular member

This is the forum i created: http://www.bbfreedom.com/GTA_Platinum/ This is my site: http://gtaplatinum.tripod.com BTW, there really is no purpose to the forum i created, its just something that i made to add to my site.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD 2800+ @ 2.4ghz
    ASUS nForce2 A7N8X-E Deluxe
    GIGABYTE nVIDIA GeForce FX5950 ULTRA
    Main HD: MAXTOR/QUANTUM 73.4GB 15,000RPM SCSI HARD
    Storing HD 1: Fujitsu 147GB 10,025RPM SCSI Hard Drive
    Storing HD 2: MAXTOR/QUANTUM 147.1GB 10,000RPM SCSI HAR[/small]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004