1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cretin's Guide and the Bitrate Calculator

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by DennisTM, Dec 20, 2002.

1. DennisTM

DennisTM Member

Hi all,

I tried to rip a DVD-9 with somewhat of a success, but following Cretin's Guide led my encoding with ReMPEG to stall at 100% and it eventually died on me, probably because I used the wrong bitrate. I used the freeware as instructed by Cretin, but the Bitrate Calculator cam up with the number 7655 kbits which I couldn't fit into ReMPEG. The slider doesn't let me go up to 7655000 bits/sec. I got everything done til step 16 - then I must have done something terribly wrong. I'm sure as heck missing something here, but what. Any idea?

Movie: Nightmare before Christmas
    Length: 76 min.
    Type: DVD-9
    Bitrate Entries: Audio 384, 76min, 1 DVD
    Assumed correct vob-files: VTS_02_1.vob to VTS_02_4.vob

Last edited: Dec 20, 2002
  2. khanh007

khanh007 Member

I have the same problem...the bitrate given to me by the bitrate calculator was something like 5200 for a movie that is barely larger than dvd5....but the Rempeg scaling factor slider bar does not go that high...

Can anyone explain this please?

3. DennisTM

DennisTM Member

Hi Khanh007,

I think I fihuered that out. I simply don't use ReMPEG. I checked the sizes of my main movie files and they were under 4.3GB. After I DeCrypted the main files I went back to Decrypter, grabbed the main IFO and BUP file, decrypted them, stuck 'em in the DVDRipps directory along with my other vob files and bured the stuff. Came out great! I think only if your main files are over 4.3 it's necessary to use ReMPEG. Check it out :)

Cheers
    Dennis

4. framerman

framerman Regular member

Your total file size can't be more than 4.37. I believe you can usually fit just movie files of a 2 hour movie onto a dvd-5. That's just a starting guess though. All movies are different, but I'd be surprised if a 76 min movie wouldn't fit onto a dvd-5 already. They all have different bitrates where some movies are more than others. 7655 kb is pretty large. I've reencoded to as low as 2500 without any noticeable difference. Are you also trying to author with the menu? Or do you just want movie files?

ReMpeg is a good program, but it doesn't come with as many bells and whistles as TMPGEnc or CCE. Alot of people use it though because it has less playback problems, most noticeably with audio syncing. You can't finetune the program as much as TMPGEnc, but you shouldn't have to. The encoding percentage stops at 90% and I really don't know why. Maybe to keep it stable. It's a good program though. Stick with it if you like it.

5. DennisTM

DennisTM Member

Hi Framer,

as you assumed correctly, I didn't mess with the menues. This is something I want to look into later on. I'm already happy to have only the movie files "backed up" :)

A tip in how to do the menues would be really appreciated.

Thanks folks,

Cheers,
    Dennis

P.S. Also, what's it all about the VTS_xx._0.vob files? What are they good for? :)