1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossfire Help!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jaink, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Jaink

Jaink Guest

How do you know if it is working? If it is working and you have 2 512mb cards does that mean you have 1gig total or not?

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

In the catalyst control center, if the box is checked, then it is enabled.

I always run 3dmark06 and see if there is a marginal difference between my score with 1 GPU and with CF enabled - that's how I tell.

Note that they have to be the same cards, or one will only help render physics and not graphical quality. But essentially, yes, you will have a gig of ram.

3. Jaink

Jaink Guest

I have 2 His 512mb Radeon HD 2600 XT IceQ Turbo on a Asus m3a32-mvp deluxe/wifi-ap mobo and when I run pc wizard 08 it reports that they are not crossfired and that it is running directx 9 when it is supposed to be 10. It is enabled in catalyst.

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Download 3dmark06 and run it. See if there is a difference between your score with 1 card, and 2. If there is a good difference (over 1k) then CF is working.

If you are running XP, the program will report that the GFX card is in DX9 as only vista supports DX10.

Also, download GPU-Z and tell me if that reports that CF is enabled/disabled.

5. Jaink

Jaink Guest

Gpu-z says enabled but it does say it is running at x8 instead of x16. 3dmark06 score was 8991 with 2 cards and I haven't tried with 1 yet. I don't know if that is a good score or not. I noticed that my windows welcome screen is outlined in red insted of blue is there something to that or not. I don't know if this has any thing to do with it or not, but I have 4gig of ram but windows only says 3gig. It is 2 2gig sticks.

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

You should be getting above 10k in 3dmark06. The low score is probably due to the x8 enabled slot on your mobo. Can you change it in the BIOS? Does you motherboard support PCI-e 16 for both slots?

7. Jaink

Jaink Guest

8. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Try looking on the BIOS to see if there is an option to change the slot to x16 bandwith.

9. Jaink

Jaink Guest

I fixed the cards and re-ran the test and got 8979

10. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Still, that seems kinda low. What CPU do you have? Does GPUZ say that the x16 lane is enabled?

11. Jaink

Jaink Guest

12. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Oh! Then that's a fine score for 2 2600s!

13. Jaink

Jaink Guest

Thank you for your help. I noticed that you are running vista x64 have you had any problems. I tried for a month to run xp x64 with no luck.

14. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Unfortunately, yes I have had a few. Luckly, I am duel booting both XP and vista.

If I play a game in Vista for a while, it will soon crash (after 1.5 hours or so), and sometimes Vista will only boot when I have 1 card physically enabled. What I mean by this is, I have to unplug the power to my second 3870 sometimes for Vista to boot. Although I am thinking this is very rare since I have had this only happen when I first installed the cards, and when I flashed their BIOS's.