1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT HDTV

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by boutcrazy, Feb 16, 2007.

1. tleewade

tleewade Member

keep the heavy tv . alot harder to steal if your house is broke in.can you see a thief running whith a 190 lb tv . ha ha would almost be a funny sight.

2. boutcrazy

boutcrazy Member

@ Ced - You are right - this is a great thread. Thanks to everyone for all the responses, opinions, and advice!!

@bigup - I know I've seen some type of formula to use in sizing the TV to the room. Room is actually 12'x18' (former carport converted into a den), but the way the room is arranged, we are about 7' from the TV screen, so I'm thinking that 34" Sony 970 would be just fine, what do you think?

You guys will be the 1st to know if that Sony monsta gets a new home!

Thanks again. Have a great evening.
    Craig

3. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

I thought that too... until 47" lcds got cheaper :( But with widescreen formats more common in tubes today you'll probably not notice it as much :) My tube wasn't :(

4. boutcrazy

boutcrazy Member

Well...it's DONE!! That behemoth Sony is sitting in the den right now. So far, the pic looks good - even with just standard def signal, although I think the blacks are a little too black - I'll play with the adjustments later. DirectTV can't come out for the upgrade till 4/2 - geez. Got it at Best Buy for $849.99 - best price I'd found. Didn't buy any service plan. In fact, the tag at the store said it was CLEARANCE! When I asked why, they said the new model TVs were usually introduced around this time of year. They had 3 of these left, including the floor display.
    We looked at home theatre systems too, and I know that's a different forum, but I can say I really don't wanna spend too much on one of those. I like to have the sound effects, but I don't like it booming or rattling the windows. So I'm thinking a cheaper system would do ok. Maybe the $300-$400 range?
    Anyway, thanks for all the advice received. Can't wait to see it in HD.
    Anything else I need to know, please chime in!!
    Thanks,
    Craig

5. casemodd

casemodd Member

Well like yourself i bought it now & they finally hooked it up in my house yesterday everything works great on it paid 650 dollars for it at circuitcity an extra 50 to have it installed arrived on time only thing i did wrong was i forgot to buy the matching stand for it looked everywhere no store has it so i must order it online for another 300 dollars its sitting on my stand with the sides of it hanging but it holds it none the less. The guys were nice they hooked my entire home theater for free then charging me that 180 the woman on the phone said. If you like this model have it shipped to you its very heavy as it took two guys to take it up to my second floor :) This is my first hdtv and i was just speechless watching the upconvert with my dvds on the tv quality is amazing. I still have to order cableHD to get the full take on the channels. I don't have any negative comments on this tv has everything i wanted.

6. boutcrazy

boutcrazy Member

Case, glad you like your new TV. You certainly got it at a steal - now I wish I would have waited a little longer - you got it for $200 less than I did, and I thought I was getting a bargain.

We already had a decent stand - previous TV was 31". The new Sony does hang off an inch or so on both sides, but it doesn't look too bad. Before we sat it on the stand, we both hopped onto the stand (both of us meaning about 380lbs total) to make sure it would hold the weight of the TV. Stand didn't budge, so figured it was safe.

The only thing I DONT like is, when we change the channel (actually the sat box channel - TV stays on ch3 all the time)there is quite a bit of delay, then I get a black screen, with "Video 6 - Satellite" in the upper left corner. I really don't know if this is the new HD sat receiver's fault, or the TV's. But it's something that didn't use to happen with the old SD TV and old sat box. Oh well, everything can't be perfect.

7. casemodd

casemodd Member

I found a stand at bestbuy for 80 bucks & it fits perfect no need to buy that sony stand for 300 dollars now. Had some help moving it since it was quite heavy :)

8. casemodd

casemodd Member

Well i saw the same tv in the circuitcity ad this morning for 600 dollars & will go back to the store for their price matching. Already talked with a phone rep & yup i will get a 100% refund talk about a great day. Just awesome a free hdtv now that's cheap haha :D

9. AFrost20

AFrost20 Member

I have the 34" Sony tube HDTV as well. ALl of my friends have LCD's, and they all comment on how much better the pic quality on HD content looks on the CRT. I have an apartment, so this size is perfect. The delay on changing channels....I assume you have your STB hooked up HDMI? Mine did this as well. I could tell NO difference in hooking it up HDMI as opposed to Component, so i went back to component with no lag changing channels. Good luck with it!

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

AFrost20

glad I'm not the only one that can't tell the difference between HDMI and component connections! LOL I'm using component because the volume couldn't be controlled thru cox box remote-the audio out not variable when using HDMI.

11. AFrost20

AFrost20 Member

Maybe we are weird???? My eyes are nowhere near good enough to tell the difference between HDMI and component. hell, i cant see much if ANY difference between 720p on a 720 set, and 1080p on a 1080 set. Certainly not a ~2k difference!

12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

That's why I got a 720p set and saved $500.

13. HDTV4all

HDTV4all Member

Hey Case,

I'm fairly new here. Just browsing through the threads and found this one.

Not a bad deal for your CRT! Especially if it's everything you want. The best thing about the CRT besides its great picture quality is the fact that no one will ever try to steal it. It'll take a crew of movers for sure. CRT sets can offer the best picture quality of all but they are huge and heavy, bulky and unwieldy. I wouldn't recommend a CRT to anyone who moves every 4 or 5 years.

Who wants to carry a two-hundred pound behemoth up two flights of stairs or even 100 feet from a driveway? If you go with a CRT, make sure you have the space and strength or get someone to help you move it around. CRT technology is fast disappearing. They also use a lot of energy as I suppose you'll notice after you get your electric bill for a few months. But can't beat the picture quality and the thief-protection feature (the weight).