1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crucial X800GTO Problems/Upgrade ??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by l3luey, Feb 15, 2007.

1. l3luey

l3luey Member

I have been having problems of late with my card (Temp/Freezing - using ATITOOLS the GPU temp at boot averages @ 41.4 with enviroment temp @ 37. Then after 10 mins running MFME (fruitmachine emulator) temp averages @ 55 with enviroment temp @ 47. Then @ idle the GPU still gradually rising to around 57. Then after 10 mins or (crash/screen freeze) of a game (tested with - Scarface, Just Cause, San Andreas or even PDC World Championship Darts) then with a quick reboot temp averages @ 86.4 with enviroment @ 53.

It seems to me the GPU is definantly overheating, so I phone the nice people @ Crucial (card only 8 mth's old) and they say they will replace it, but not with original as they no longer stock, but with an X1600 PRO 512MB.

Is this a fair swap ?

I know the X800GTO has GDDR3 memory and the X1600 PRO has GDDR2 but I am unsure about the other features/performance of each card.

I am not an overclocker and the power supply is suficiant, and case/cpu/mb are all @ good temp's.
    Also the card has run OK since June.

Any help feedback much appreciated.

2. dazila

dazila Regular member

Its a bit slower not alot at all a little bit not really noticable but it has alot more newwer features then the X800 like Pixel Shader 3.0 while the 800 has only 2.0 and so on so overall it is a good deal you will get a few mhz less not much but better and newer features,
    Its good!
    P.S isnt the 512mb X1600PRO a GDDR3 card not 2 I think only the 256mb and 128mb versions are GDDR2?
    Look on Sapphire and ATi's site.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  3. l3luey

l3luey Member

Cheers for your reply.
    It is DDR2, the X1600XT was GDDR3, maybe you are thinking of that.

I found this comparison guide - Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide.

i suppose as the warranty is up in 4 mth's and the X1600Pro dont look considerably worse, it is a good deal.

Time to start rebuilding I guess, with pci-e and the latest step in processor power.
    Time to save!

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

id say its the same or better as it will have better compatibility with PS 3.0 not 2.0.
    You should do it they are nice and offereing you t his instead of making you wait for them to order a X800.

5. dazila

dazila Regular member

Is the fan on the Current card running?

6. l3luey

l3luey Member

Yeah fan is working ok.
    Funny thing is when I took the card out last night to box up I gave it another clean (slightly more vigorous, and a big lump of dust fell out (it was caught up inside the GPU enclosure) followed by another.
    So I thought, ok lets slot back in and reinstall driver/catalyst and see what the score is.
    GPU temp 37 on boot, hmmmm, 15 mins Scarface GPU 52, 30 mins just cause GPU 54 max. lol cant believe it, first thing I done was cleaned, even replaced an existing case fan with a 120mm.

So I've half decieded to keep, I know the other card is new and like you said has shader 3.0 but the X800GTO seems to be a better card overall.

I think I'll wait a day or 2 before contacting them, just to be sure.
    Heres that comparison guide - http://www.techarp.com/article/Desktop_GPU_Comparison/ati_1.gif
    http://www.techarp.com/article/Desktop_GPU_Comparison/ati_2.gif
    http://www.techarp.com/article/Desktop_GPU_Comparison/ati_3.gif

Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007