1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CuCusofts Mpeg to VOB tool.....any success stories?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by mrlewp, Dec 26, 2004.

1. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

C'softs FREE 'mpeg to vob' tool is just what I've wanted for very long time.(until I get DVD recorder, then no need)
    About basic as you can get, it claims to take an mpeg2 file, and convert it to .vob files. Each time I've tried, it's log file displays "Finished",and success, etc. But the result is always one single vob file, size 0kb !!
    Status bar never displays any progress, either despite what the event log shows.
    Anyone tried this , or know of another free tool to do same?

2. Blenn

Blenn Member

same here. Can't figure it out. Any other tools that can do this?

Paul

3. pfh

pfh Guest

Being new to dvd recording I've also been looking for similar tool but I don't think it's out there. From what I'm learning it looks like the enncoding from mpeg to vob and ensuing dvd format is time consuming and can't be rushed. For now I'm using the (ok but not great) WinDVD Creator prog that came with my capture device.

4. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

yeah their called dvd authors ;)

ifoedit is a free dvd author if you dont want to shell out $$$.

http://www.ifoedit.com/

but for a good author your gonna have to spend some $$$.....i recommend dvdlab or tmpgenc dvd author.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2005
  5. Blenn

Blenn Member

I will check out DVDlab but Tmpenc wont do it to VOB either. I have tried that thing relentlessly and cannot get it to do whats needed.

Cheers

Paul

6. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

I'm resisting installing each and every DVD/Audio application I find, until I really know what it's purpose is. (grabbed everything I came across, then never knew what for.....finally did total system recovery, and restraining myself)

Please , can anyone tell me what you can do with IFOEdit. Sure , I always read the summaries, but I mean ....why do you use it, what for??

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

I use IFOEdit for PAL, and ReJig for NTSC.
    Both programs take an mpeg, and create the dvd structure (.vob's etc.).
    No menus, no chapters, just an autoplay dvd.
    I seriously recommend DVDLab (or Pro) for authoring.

mrlewp, there are only a few basic applications that are indispensible for making dvd's.
    You need an encoder, an editor (optional), and an authoring application.
    Which ones to choose is a matter of opinion.

8. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Easier to state what I have NOT been able to do, as I have burned many DVDs, and created DVDs from home video tapes.
    What I want, and would like from IFOEdit...if possible, is to take an mpeg1 or 2, and create .vob files, so I can use DVD'Shrink to bring them down to size. Will IFOEdit to that ??

9. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Yes, so will ReJig.
    I prefer rejig.
    Demux your video to separate audio and video streams.
    Tmpgenc mpeg tools, simple demux will do it, as will lots of other programs.
    Open rejig.
    Select DVD Author.
    click the . beside video and browse for your .m2v (the demuxed video bit)
    Click the . beside audio, and browse for your .mpa (the demuxed audio bit)
    Select PAL or NTSC from the dropdown box.
    Add subs if you need, by clicking on the . beside Subpicture.
    Add chapter points if you have them, by clicking on the . beside Chapters.
    You can also keep the same text/font/color as the originial subs if you have the original .ifo
    click the . beside output stream, and browse to where you want the dvd structure saved.
    click the Create button.
    Wait.
    It will create the proper VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, inside the folder you chose to save in, ready to drag and drop into your burning app.
    It's easier to DO than it is to type all this out! :D

10. jno

jno Member

Hi - I am also a total newbie to this. I have VHS I want to put onto DVDs and was wondering how on earth I can do this.

Using my TV card and antenna cable, I can successfully record the stream (40 minutes from a PAL video) to the PC in "Best Quality" - the software I used came with the card and created a 1.2Gb MPEG II file.

But what do to next? How do I get that MPEG II file into a suitable format VOB/IFO for burning?

I tried IFOedit (freeware) and that kept given me the "internal ERROR" message, even after I set the GOB settings correctly. It produced a VOB for me, but although the picture was fine, the sound was corrupt. The Cucuosft programmenioned here won't even load my MPEG file!

Am I right in thrink there are "MPEG II" files and "MPEG II files suitable for conversion to VOB?"

A freind of mine has "Super DVD Creator" - this loads my file fine but Cucusoft won't - what is that ?!?? I will try Super DVD Creator later but in the meantime if anyone can provide me with an idiot's guide (coz I really have no idea what I am doing) I would be very grateful - thanks!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  11. pfh

pfh Guest

Try the 30 day trial of DVD Lab. De-mux when asked to then follow quick tutorial guide in help regarding authoring and compiling. You end up with a dvd volume ready for burning with your burning app.

12. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

You dont necessarily have to convert that mpeg2 file to .vob,etc. I dont know what OS you have, but my XP came with ArcSofts Showbiz, and besides mpg1 and mpg2, it can create a "special" mpg2 which is ready for DVD burning. I have DVDCopy to burn vob files to DVD discs.
    If you do have Showbiz , I've learned to create the DVD file first on HDrive, then burn as separate function, rather than to try and convert file and burn in one step.

13. jno

jno Member

Well, I managed to get a DVD burnt, wohoo! Three stages:

1. Recorded direct stream using normal TV card+software that came with it. This saved the file as an MPEG II video.

2. I used Super DVD Creator 5 to make the so-called "Special MPEG II" format (ready for DVD burning). This took ages - it actually de-multiplexed the single Mpeg2 file from stage 1 into separate audio and video files.

3. I then used IFOedit and these two files to make the VOB files (Audio & Video). This took a few minutes and worked without any errors.

I had previously tried this with TMpgenc (to separate the audio/video streams) but I kept gtting those darn INTERNAL ERROR message from IFOedit.

4. Burnt a normal DVD Video disk using Nero Burning ROM (Nero Vision Express not installed).

thanks for all your help! - next question though, I have 2 x 1 hour long episodes of a show and I want to put both on the disk - how do I do the menu so the user can choose the ep they want?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  14. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

15. neolexey

neolexey Member

OK ... so im about to cry!.. i have been reading and searching and downloading and installing and I CANT FIGURE IT OUT. what everyone has posted in this thread is exactly what im trying to do, EXCEPT when i try ya'lls suggestions nothing works. I have several movies that i have downloaded from limewire, and my first problem was some were in 2 parts but i downloaded a trial version of X video converter, and that put the 2 peices together. But the other problem i have is i have sonic dvd creator, and when i try to burn the dvds with it they are too big, i also have nuro and when i try to burn dvds with it, they are not .vob format. I tried to use the suggestions in here such as the ifoedit to change them from mpeg to vob or from avi to vob. or something that will transfer off my dad gum computer on to a disk so i can watch it.... im pulling my hair out over here, iv downloaded: ifoedit, divx, dvd shrink, nero, x video converter, TMPGEnc (which i have no idea what it does), and several dvd burning programs thinking it might just be the program im trying to use... please help, if i already have something that will work, then help me to figure out how to properly use it. thanks. my email is neolexey@gmail.com

-neolexey

16. marydogan

marydogan Member

hello, in reading your posts, you are hopping around my problem and hope someone can help me. At work I have Adobe Premiere Pro, I have a movie (300 mg) and a audio (85mg), 1st problem, when I export as movie, it blows up to over 2 gig. NOT good. ( I believe I have checked all my criteria, etc)

2nd problem, I exported to DVD, a function of Premeire, this is where the VOB files are created. I want an MPEG file, ( I do select MPEG-2) but it doesn't save it to that.
    Can someone help?
    thanks so much

17. cdan

cdan Regular member

neolexey,
    i'm not having any luck either. I have ifoedit, cucusoft, dvdlab and tmpgenc, none of them work me. I have a tv commercial i want to put on dvd, but it's a mpeg 1 and i can't find ANYthing that will convert it to .vob / .bup / .ifo, like are found on a commercial dvds, which dvd shrink will read and burn. Why can't someone come up with a program that is simple....like "convert target from ????? to ????? and burn to ...where ever" If anyone can tell me how to do it, i'd reeeeeally appreciate it.
    thanx..cdan

18. cdan

cdan Regular member

rebootjim:
    it sounds real simple, but i don't find any tools in tmpgenc that say demux. Everytime i try to import a mgeg1 clip into 'new project', it get error messages....ie: wrong frame rate and an audio error. This is becoming a major issue. Nothing seems to work to get this mpeg1 to a vob, or SOMEthing dvdshrink will recognize.
    cdan

19. neolexey

neolexey Member

well i found it, im not sure how but i did, first i used just arcsoft showbiz dvd, which will do everything for you in one step, the problem is the free trial only lasts for 15days. and this software is 99.99. so after that trial ran out, i downloaded cucusoft MPEG/AVI to DVD/VCD/SVCD/MPEG Converter Pro 5.12 trial version and used this to convert the movies, then used Cucusoft Mpeg to DVD Burner trial version to burn the dvds. (instructions for both steps located here http://www.avi-vcd.com/avi-to-dvd.asp ). this worked wonderfuly for me, but a friend of mine tried it and was not successful, the problem he was having was the burner software was not reading his burning hardware. so he used nero insted and it seemed to work. i found a wonderful website with lots of free trial downloads and instructions to many different converting and burning techniques. http://www.allformp3.com , hope this helps! by the way, the cucusoft software is MUCH cheeper than the arcsoft but not as nice!

20. cdan

cdan Regular member

neolexey,
    what exactly did arcsoft convert for you? From what TO what?...and did it demux or create video / audio ts folders?
    cdan