1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current versions numbers for updating Nero?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gkczuba, Jan 16, 2005.

1. gkczuba

gkczuba Guest

I received a new Sony internal DVD burner (DRU-710A) for Christmas, and I am trying to learn how to use it. I've been having some problems with Nero freezing up while trying to burn slideshows on DVD's, and thought I should restart at the very beginning. I'm running WinXP w/sp2, Pentium 4 @ 1.6G, and have a 120G hard drive with lots of space. I increased the memory from 256 to 512 after getting an error message that "windows virtual memory was too low". The system is managing my memory. I've also tried turning off as much as I know how (networking, Norton, printer & etc.) while trying to burn the disk, but still have problems with freezing. Since I added more memory, I don't get the message about "virtual memory running low", but the error log indicates there is still a memory problem. Here's what I did. After installing the burner, which works fine (did a test from Sony), I installed the Nero software. The software that came with the burner is:

Nero Software Suite
    Nero Burning ROM 6.3.1.19
    Nero StartSmart 1.0.1.24
    NeroVision 2.1.2.17
    Nero ShowTime 1.5.0.33
    Cover Designer 2.3.0.9
    Nero BackItUp Application 1.2.0.19

Then I went to Nero's website to check for updates. I'm a little confused about the version(s) of Nero that came with the burner, but I downloaded 6 updates, which I thought should be right and installed them. First of all, I want to make sure I have the right updates. Can someone advise me what version(s) of Nero I should be running after installing the correct updates, or if I should even install all of them? After I make sure I have the right updates, I'll go on from there. Thanks ~ Kathy

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Open Nero SmartStart -> lower right click the icon. Then check for updates.

3. gkczuba

gkczuba Guest

Ok, I found 6 packages which I downloaded. I installed packages 1, 2 & 5. I'll try burning a slideshow to a DVD and see what happens. Thanks. Kathy

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Kathy, welcome to aD,

To save yourself future problems, DO NOT INSTALL InCD. It is a packet writting program and causes issues many times :(

When you finish doing your Slide Show, stop back and we'll teach you how to backup DVD's-

cheers,

Pete

5. gkczuba

gkczuba Guest

Update - After reading more postings and learning Roxio and Nero do not play nice together, I deleted Roxio. I used "zapper60.zip" to remove any traces of Roxio. I then removed Nero (to prepare for reinstalling it as suggested in other posts), along with using "cleanpack.zip, general-clean tool.zip, and InCd-clean tool.zip to remove traces of Nero. After rebooting, I reinstalled Nero, making sure not to install InCD this time. I installed the three (1, 2 & 5) update packages once again, and rebooted one more time. After disconnecting from the internet and turning off Norton, I burned a slide show directly to DVD. This time it worked - my computer did not freeze up! I played the DVD and my slideshow is complete. I am happy about that. However, the little yellow error message did pop up and tell me my virtual memory was low........Should I worry about the virtual memory, or change it manually before attempting to burn a DVD next time? If so, what settings would you recommend? Thanks for all the help. Kathy

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well, well there kathy, you've done well there girl :)

It's so nice to see someone doing their homework AND amassing the information correctly. So many find bits and pieces and come to the wrong conclusions. I am impressed.

You have one fast friend here at aD, me . . . .

I recommend uping your virtual memory by 20%. No particular reason, it's what I've done and its worked well for me . . .

I then increased my RAM to 1024MB (about 1GB), left the manual setting alone and never looked back (never had another error message either, Lol).

I'm glad you've gotten a successful burn BUT I feel that some of your problem was the Roxio/Nero conflict.

Let's try going into msconfig, startup and shutting down everything you ABSOLUTELY do not need . . .

You'll find a ton of programs to "trash". I suggest leaving only your AV proggys and wireless keyboard/mouse if you have them. There's no other programs that I can think of that you really need. I just checked mine and it's all I have running except my AnyDVD update and Nero check. All else is shut down. The extra time required to boot a program isn't noticable.

For the next burn that you do, I recommend using an RW disc then try leaving your NAV working to see if you can "get away" with it -

As you've been doing your homework so well - you've probably come across posts that have documented issues with NAV BUT sometimes we can sneak it in - it doesn't hurt to try -

Keep me posted as to how you make out -

Pete

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

8. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

I just increased my pagefile when i got the "virtual memory low"
    (I have since upgraded to a full gig 1024 of ram.)
    but if you want to increase your pagefile.
    Right click on the taskbar and click Task Manager. In the Task Manager, click on the Performance tab. Look at the entries in the Commit Charge frame. The Peak entry gives you an indication of the maximum amount of memory used by your computer since the last time it was started. The optimum amount of RAM is equal to this value (assuming the computer has been running for a few days and you've run your typical programs during that time). See the Limit entry. This is the total of your RAM and pagefile. The limit should be at least twice the Peak value. If you can't buy more RAM, you can increase your pagefile size to increase the Limit value

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  9. gkczuba

gkczuba Guest

Hello: After spending quite some time, helping other family members with their computers, I finally found time to play with mine. I again successfully burned my slideshow directly to DVD, using both the NTSC and the PAL standard. The slideshow contained pictures from a trip to Germany, and my German relatives wanted a copy. I wasn't sure if they would be able to view the slideshow if recorded in NTSC, so I recorded in their standard (PAL) as well. I am sending both copies to see if they can view either DVD or both. I recorded both DVD's without changing the virtual memory, and I left Norton on. However, I did disconnect from the internet. I try and keep my computer as clean as possible. I run Norton 2005 SystemWorks, CCleaner, Spybot, and RegCleaner, making sure they are up-to-date before running. I also defrag at least once a week. I know some people who have never defragged or don't run an antivirus program! Yikes!! Thanks for all the tips.
    You guys are the best!! Kathy

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2005