1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

custom internet browser for PS2?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by Stinky_1, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

Here is what I am thinking. How hard would it be to program a browser like mozilla or some other lighter software that can be put into the PS2 and turned on and just connect you up and allow net surfing? AR MAX has a mini version of this by connecting you to their servers and allowing you to view and post on their web forum. And that whole disc is VERY small in size. So if they can make it connect directly to their site, why couldnt somebody start with that code and modify it to allow an address window for regular browsing? I realize that copying someone elses code like that is not allowed (copyrights and whatnot) but could you not use that as insparation?

I know nothing about coding on the PS2. I used to be pretty mean with a Ti85 graphing calculator. I even programmed a fully 3D doom style shooter during Physics class. If PS2 coding is anything even close to basic or Ti language I may have a chance to do this myself. But I suspect its nothing like it.

Can somebody tell me if any such project is in the works? Or if anyone else has mentioned how cool it would be?

Once again, I only want to put the disc in the PS2 and have it boot right into the browser to a pre-set home page and allow me to go anywhere I could on my Computer.

Please do not suggest PS2 linux either, I want somthing anybody could use. Maybe I ask for too much.

2. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

3. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

Apearantly it only works for UK PS2's, Our network disc is not the same and does not allow you to configure any external connection anything.

So I guess Ill need access to the Uk disk now instead.

4. mri333

mri333 Member

hey. i have also been looking for a ps2 based web browser. i found one called.. "EGBrowser.iso" It's around 11mb, but i have been unable to get it to play on my modded ps2. may be my burner, i'm not sure. i decided to go and order a UK network disk to connect instead. site of EGBrowser issss... http://www.neosyntax.com/EGBrowser.rar use winrar to extract it.. or whatever. i have a mac. stuffit works too. and burn it as an .iso. see if u can get that sucker working, i can't.. :(
    later,

5. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I will try it right now. Are you in the UK or the US? I am interested to know if the UK browser thing will work on a US PS2. If it does let me know and maybe hook a brother up?

6. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I just tested it out. It loads up and everything but it looks like its only configured to work with a dial up modem. There is nowhere to set the settings for my broadband connection. But it does work. It just wont connect me up.

7. Megadeth

Megadeth Regular member

There's a special USB modem that was sold with the EGBrowser as a package in Japan. That's the error message you receive when you try and connect, "Error Connecting to USB Modem ..."

8. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I dont get an error measage. It goes to a setup screen, I set it up, then it saves the settings to my mc, then it loads into the main screen.

Then I try to connect to one of the pre-loaded sites and it says

"there is a problem connecting to your netowrk, please wait a while then try again"

Note: I used to be fluent in japanese and had a grade 5 level of charcter recognition. So I can kinda get the gist of what is on the screen.

9. mri333

mri333 Member

hmm, okay. so it looks like it's only for dial up. when i get my disk from the UK i will see how that one works. later-

10. Megadeth

Megadeth Regular member

11. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I think EG broswer BB requires you to load it onto the HDD though.

I will take a look for a version somewhere and see if I can try it out though.

12. mri333

mri333 Member

sweeeet. i want it ! is it "legal" to mention torrents and burning on this site ? because if so.. i will see if i can find a torrent of that. if not. shh i didnt say that. :D later-

13. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

If you find a torrent for it I would be interested to know where it is. I have been looking and havnt found any yet.

14. motoxthor

motoxthor Guest

hey this seems pretty cool. i think im going to try the EGBrowser. if that doesnt work could u tell me where u ordered the UK disc? i contacted SCEE, but no response lol.

15. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

Unless you are on dial up EGBroswer wont do anything for you. You would need BB browser, and to make that work you need a working copy of linux and a HDD.

16. motoxthor

motoxthor Guest

o crud nvm then. now to find the UK disc...