1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cutting an mpg

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by CCEncoder, Sep 30, 2004.

1. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

I would like to know of a good program that can cut by frame as it is the only way to cut accurately, I tried the following and I have the following issues:
    ---------------------------------
    AVI MPEG ASF WMV Splitter
    (DOES NOT KNOW THERE IT STANDS, AND THE 01:01:xxx timeline is crazy it will show frames from another second in the same second, you really don't know where you're cutting from, it will cut the video well if you give it the right amount of time without padding or reencoding which is good but just the concept of having h:m:s:000 is out of the place as one second can't have 999 frames and it doesn't even do the equivalent like if a movie second has 2 frames it will not go from 0 to 500! instead will go to 001 and when it reaches 999 which is supposed to be in the same second, will be like from the 20second after.
    TMPGEnc 2.5 cutter

a little better in showing the right frame being cut from, but it will not cut exactly as is told.
    mpeg-vcr
    Too much padding overhead and will increase your file size.
    Good sync with the movie on the preview window when showing h:m:s:frames instead of thousands of miliseconds which is the correct way, but after cutting your video appears to look diferent as if it was poorly reencoded.
    --------------------------------

I need the perfect cutter, any ideas?

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The 'perfect cutter' is running twice TMPGenc with Settings --> Advanced --> Select range [the 1st time you encode CD1 with frame range 0 --> F, the 2nd CD2 with frame range F+1 --> end (just change the range and the output filename with TMPGenc)].
    It might be slower, but it never failed.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  3. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

please explain with more detail, and I don't see an advaced tab on tempegc.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

1. on the main screen press 'Setting', the button at the bottom of the scereen, right of the type (e.s. Vidoeo-CD NTSC) of the miovie you're encoding and right of other 2 buttons (Load, Save) thay tou use for saving/loading other TMPGenc setting templates (you could have created other templates, more than the VCD,SVCD,DVD (NTSC,PAL and NTSC Film for VCD/SVCD that exist by defalut).

2. After pushing the 'Setting' button, another window appears: the Video Settings one.
    On this window you an edit only the Motion Search Precision , because the others have been fixed bt the template. Important, at the 1st line of this screen six button appear. Those represent the sub-menus of the Settings button:

1. Video
    2. Advanced
    3. GOP Settings
    4. Quantize Matrix
    5. Audio
    6. System

This are not much of use apart from Advanced (the one I suggested you to use) and Audio, where if you check 'Use Audio Edit' and press the 'Setting' button right of it you can Normalize the sound. If the movie is too loud check 'Change Volume' and use a Normalize < 100%. If the movie cannot be heared clearly (too silent) do as before but use a Normalize > 100%.
    Is it all clear now?