1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyberhome DVD/RW nightmare

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by cyberhome, Dec 9, 2003.

1. cwhill

cwhill Member

Alot of good info here on this forum. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any problems with the 1530 version. I assume most people had the 2500 or 1500 version and of course most including myself had the lockup problems with the 2500 version and got in on the exchange program back in Aug 2004. I have had the 1530 version now since August with no real problems being able to burn probably 20 dvds. Tonight when my unit froze up after formatting a new dvd all of the sudden. I was able to power down and unplug it for ten minutes then ejecting the dvd and putting a new one. All seems ok so far. Has anybody had any problems on the 1530 like the lockup problems that were encountered on the 2500? I am expecting the 1530 to not last much longer than my 2500. I have looked on this forum and not seen many problems reported like the ones from the 2500 lockups.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  2. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Why do we buy cyberhome products if we know they are crap? We are all a little cheap now and then. I gues in the end we will end up spending double to but another player or burner. I even bought a cyberhome. Oh well....

3. spacehun

spacehun Member

My Cyberhome 1500 story
    In 2004 the price on the cheapest DVD recorder at Best Buy dropped below $250.00. I bought a Cyberhome 1500.
    It was an attractive machine. And it seemed to work with the included DVD+RWs.
    I got my first brick of generic DVD+Rs and went to work.
    Then the fun began.
    The tuner would not process the channels on my analog cable system. It had to be run on CH3 with a fine Sanyo vcr for channel section.
    It started hanging on the
    screen when brought from standby to active. this could be dealt with by a cold boot via the back power switch.
    It would go
    sometimes when I tried to set the timer. Nothing but
    for several hours.
    The editing feature that allows chapters to be hidden works only on the C-1500 itself. If other players dont just ignore the hide command they only play part of the disk.
    Disks on which the title and picture hadn't been changed from the default do not play on any other players.
    I have three dvd computer drives; my old HP 100i, 16X memorex external and Toshiba Laptopn cd/DVD rom. The computers freeze at the first taste of a cyberhome burned disk.
    A bright spot is that a friends Plextor external does see and copy these disks nicely with Roxio software. These copied disks play well on other systems.
    The sound was there, but at reduced volume. It turns out that the rf tuner in the C1500 has monaural sound. I had made thirty or so inferior sound disks before I discovered this defect. It is cured by recording only through component video feed.
    It was always hot . I mitigated this somewhat by raising the machine on 4 three liter bottle caps and blowing a little box fan over it.
    I understand this dog is no longer in production. I wouldnt recomend it to Osama Ben Laden - at any price.
    Im financially strapped , so I've got to force this old turkey to work as long as I can. I look forward to the day when I can replace it with something from Sharp or Sanyo.

4. cyberhfan

cyberhfan Member

haha a poor guy complainer. you only made 30 disk in more than a year? ha ha ha. they cost 98#$ man , get a clue. cyberhome is a okay.

5. spacehun

spacehun Member

I made more than 30, brother.
    Im just saying I had to bend this uncooperative beast to my will.
    And I am disappointed that in between the beautiful case at functional burner theres a load of cheap electronic flup.
    I am glad to hear you've done well with Cyberhome. You're a lucky entity.

6. cudaz101

cudaz101 Member

Cyberfan is nothing but a jackass troll...There is no way in hell that anyone ended up not having problems with such a POS. Besides...Howelse did the dork find this site that is dedicated the the nightmare that this POS product inflicted...Oh yea..I am sure we all go surfing the net searching for our band of brothers who share the same DVD writer...I somehow doubt that...So Cyberfan STFU and troll elsewhere jackass...

Brad

7. spacehun

spacehun Member

Ok we All got ripped off.''
    We all but one agree that these things were forged in the depths of Hades.
    The question is: What do we try next?
    Many of us chose the cyberhome for its modest price.
    What DVD recorder in the 100-200 US dollar range can functionally replace the Cyberhome 1500?

8. cudaz101

cudaz101 Member

The answer is quit being a cheepskate...Really...If its something you are going to use frequently then purchase a unit that will fill the bill, get a good replacement policy on it and never look back.

Really...My next unit "When I decide to get another one" will be from a big retail store with good replacment options "Sears for one"...And all the supposed functions WILL actually WORK...heh...And if they don't then I can simply march down to SEARS and shove it in their ass and they will still gladley give me another unit or even replace it with another model if I so request...How does it get any better. Why save a buck when the cost of savings outweighs the trouble...???

Brad

9. AmeriCat

AmeriCat Guest

Hello, Fellow Honest Cyberhome Sufferers,

I see that this thread is still active, so I thought that I would report a little good news for a change ... not about Cyberhome (shudder), but about that little RCA unit that I bought many months ago. This little sweet machine, which reads most of the DVD+ discs that were burned successfully with the Cyber*&^% units with no trouble has been running fulltime and (dare I even say this? ... trouble free!!!) since I posted that I had purchased it many months ago. I have burned well over 100 DVD+RW and some DVD+R discs without a single problem ... no overheating, no having to stand on my head and hold the unit at a 37 degree angle while reading instructions that don't work in order to amuse myself ... no having to turn the machine on and off to prove that a switch that is supposed to turn on and off actually does ... NOTHING. Not one single little itty bitty problem at all. It has been a true joy.

I have not sent the Cyberhome crap back yet ... I may do so and may decide not to do so. Frankly, I would not feel right foisting this product off on anyone else, even if I had to pay that person to take the units off my hands. I have had a ball, joyously recording programs that I want to keep and replay and categorizing my little collection of DVDs that I have recorded.

I hope that you all are fortunate enough to have as happy an ending to this little nightmare as I have had. Now, if I can just figure out how to end, for good, a rotten marriage that has caused me far more headaches than even the Cyberhome company could possibly have created in its most evil and sadistic fantasies, I will be a truly and completely happy human being once again. Don't even bother to ask yourself OR me "why" THAT task should be difficult. Unfortunately, it, too, has been nearly impossible because of financial difficulties, as well.

If only we were all fortunate enough to have the financial resources to purchase the necessities of life, with a few "toys" to make life a bit more fun and interesting, my bet is that none of us would CHOOSE to put ourselves through any painful experiences.

Not everyone who purchased a Cyberhome unit did so because he or she was "cheap" or "stupid" or anything of the sort. Some of us did, and continue to do, just the best that we are capable of doing and hope to retain a little remnant of the "kid" in each of us that delights in enjoying a bit of new technology from time to time.

Take care, and may the best of fortune (and a terrific little DVD burner) be with all of you!!!

10. wycherba

wycherba Member

I stumbled on this website in my desperation mode. I didn't realize that so many people had problems with this damn cyberhome 1500. I searched but haven't been able to find anyone else with this problem. When I watch anything it's fine. If I set up to record it's fine until the time to start recording. At the recording time it just shuts down and the front of the recorder goes completely blank. Any suggestions besides throwing it out? Please help.

11. Kazurii

Kazurii Member

Yes, I'm another Cyberhome 1500 victim. I've tried everything to get the drawer to open -- took off the cover, pushed the "reset" button on the front of the disk drive, switched it on and off at the back a hundred times, unplugged it countless times... nothing. Has anyone got any other good ideas about how to get the damned thing to open so that I can load the firmware update (in the desperate hope that it will then work)?

12. woof007

woof007 Member

have had model 1500 since spring of this year and took most of summer off not using unit. but just a few days ago with warm weather used it with no end of problems. locked up on record stops, finalizing, errors on disc. fixed the problem. all was heat related. thanks to this forum. the unit has ventalation holes on the bottom side. the feet on the unit elevate only 1/16 inch off of the surface. i took 4 plastic cassette containers and placed them under the feet. also i had another dvd player sitting ontop, which gave little space on the top side of the unit for ventalation. i removed that. checking spec page recommended temp operating range of 35C or 95F. todat was 88 degrees so i took a small honeywell fan and used that as well. not a problem at all. heat is the issue.

13. wycherba

wycherba Member

I have had a nightmare that tops them all just trying to get in touch with cyberhome. After several months I finally got a response but of course it was after my 90 day warranty. Has anybody had the problem that it shuts off instead of records?

14. cudaz101

cudaz101 Member

Read above as well as the rest of the thread...There however is NO SOLUTION if the damage is already done. But as ALREADY SAID and said many times before it is a HEAT ISSUE. Obviously in REC mode it will naturally produce much more heat than just simply using the DVD mode...

My opinion is THROW THE POS OUT and buy something else. I got the free replacement deal and the POS is still in the box. Its not worth the troubles that comes with it.

Brad

15. wycherba

wycherba Member

Thanks, the one thing that I noticed is that nobody ever said they had the problem of not recording. I don't think it can be a heat problem with mine because it doesn't even turn on in order to heat up while recording. It plays DVDs great.

16. ravenrage

ravenrage Member

i have a cyberhome 1500. i got it form hsn. it came with 3 dvd-rw. does anyone know where i can get anymore of this brand dvd-rw? yes i am having the problems of the dvd-rw and the other players not playing it. thank you for any help.

17. bugze

bugze Member

The CH-DVR 1500 from Cyberhome that I have had for about 2 years will only record to +R and +RW discs. I buy my discs online at Meritline. The Ritek are a high quality disk that work perfectly. The recorded programs all play fine on my DVD player in the other room. Just use a player that will play +RW recordings.

I was able to tranfer all of my VHS movies for DVD with this recorder. Hope this is helpful. :)

18. cyberhfan

cyberhfan Member

it is. mr merit line. cyberhome is good.

19. Nero63

Nero63 Guest

FUCH...F-You-Cyber-Home...Bwahahahaha [cudaz]
    Well I quess your one of those stupid shits that don't know how to control things as easy as heat.
    If you buy a console, you suck. Get the Interior model DX162D, burn,play no problems at all with memorex, maxell, sony,etc. have had mine for 18 months, not a single problem...so there

20. Nero63

Nero63 Guest

bugze

I would like to do the same using my PC, with an exterior vhs player and the interior ch-dx162d, dvd burner.
    Did you have to use any piracy decoder to get it to work?