1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyberlink PowerProducer Error

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by weaseljw, Apr 22, 2005.

1. weaseljw

weaseljw Member

I've been trying for a while now to get Cyberlink PowerProducer 2.0 Gold to capture video from my Sony Video Camera. It recognizes the video stream via USB connection, but it only seems to work when the speed is set incorrectly. If I try to capture the video on Standard Play which is the correct speed, PowerProducer displays an error that it caused errors and that Windows is shutting the program down. I've tried using the trial version of 3.0 and the same thing occurs. I meet the system requirements (Athlon 1.0G, 512MB RAM). Any ideas??

2. pfh

pfh Guest

Is your computer usb 1.0 or 2.0? If it's 1.0 then you might want to invest in a add-on usb 2.0 card to benefit from the higher bandwidth 2.0 provides. That could be the problem- the video stream is choking your system trying to come thru the USB 1.0 input.

You capturing AVI or MPEG?

3. weaseljw

weaseljw Member

Thanks for the response!! I'm capturing MPEG.

I wanted to share a little info about Cyberlink's email tech support.... I wouldn't count on them for much. I sent them my video camera model number and they responded with telling me that it records onto mini DVDs. Their support doesn't know what Mini DV technology even is. In any case, in the half dozen attempts to get any useful information out of them, I've gotten nothing that I already didn't know how to do. Hence coming to the forums where there are knowledgeable people!

4. pfh

pfh Guest

I took the liberty of pasting the system requirements from Cyberlink web site to help us both out........here they are:

System Requirements

Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP

Memory: 128 MB SDRAM (256 DDR is recommended)

Processor:
    VCD movie making: Intel Pentium II 450 MHz, or AMD Athlon 500 MHz
    DVD movie making: Intel Pentium III 700 MHz or AMD Athlon 700 MHz
    DV real time capture: Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 2200+ GHz

Video Capture Device:
    Analog video capture: WDM compliant capture devices
    DV: OHCI IEEE 1394 compliant devices
    DSC: WIA supported devices, USB interface

Hard Disk Space:
    VCD: 1 GB or higher of available space
    DVD: 5 GB or higher of available space

One important thing I noticed right away was the CPU requirement for DV capture, which is what your'er attempting to do. I'm afraid your machine doesn't make the cut. You see, with your current setup to capture and encode to mpeg, your CPU is doing ALL the work via Cyberlink software of course. This is where a Hardware encoding solution with dedicated chip can benefit lower ghz cpu's.

Another thing I took note of was Cyberlink web site mentioned usb 2.0 is required for those camcorders that connect via usb.

The specs regarding dvd making are a bit misleading and it's a shame this kind of marketing BS has to happen. For the novice these requirements look fine but........why is this BS?- Yes, your system can make a dvd but only if you were to obtain the nesc. mpeg stream. And therein lies the rub- obtaining the video. You can't just plug your camcorder into your comp. and capture using Cybelink software. That is, your computer, I'm afraid, is just not up to it.

Another bothersome requirement is the absolute ridiculous notion of 5 gigs of hard drive space! That is the one of the most misleading marketing crap statements and the one most abused by all co's. Let me tell you right now, if you really start to get going with your captures and making dvds- get a separate drive of decent size. At least 40 gigs and use it for video work. 5 gigs is a joke!!

So then, here's your conundrum- you've got a nice camcorder, taken some nice videos that you might like to edit into some pretty cool dvds, probebly have a vhs collection that would'nt mind transfering to dvd, maybe you though about using the camcorder pass-thru for this, camcorder connects via usb, but your computer is not quite ready for prime time. Let's look at some options.

Most likely your cam has a video and audio out that you could connect to a true capture card and supply your computer with the nesc. video.
    Since I think you only have usb 1.0 your best bet is to look at a PCI internal type card that won't choke your 1ghz cpu. there are a lot of people using the Hauppauge 250 with great results and low cpu overhead and would be 1st on my list for you to consider. Other solutions like ATI all-in-wonders work well too but can be more $.
    Well let me stop for now. I'm sure you've got more questions.

5. weaseljw

weaseljw Member

I got caucght up in the "DVD movie making" requirement of 700MHz PC.... I should have known that I needed at the faster PC. I just installed a new 80GB HD when I finally rid myself of Windows ME since my 60GB HD died.

I actually got the PowerProducer software with a V-Stream video capture card I bought. I didn't pay much for it so it's not a big loss, but I really hate to put too much money into a PC that really isn't dated for the stuff I want to do... I think the word "upgrade" is ringing louder all the time.

In any case, thanks so much for all the help. I've long since exhausted any decent support from CyberLink.

6. permatex

permatex Regular member

to weaseljw-i notice you are using cyberlink powerproducer-2 gold,this program has been upgraded to powerproducer-3.go to gocyberlink.com and check out the upgrade improvements.