1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cycle redundancy error

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nascar8, Apr 15, 2007.

1. nascar8

nascar8 Guest

does this come up only because of scratches, finger prints etc.... ????

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

No, but fingerprints, scratches, smudges and the like are the main causes. I guess the etc. covers the rest. ;) Anything that can drastically slow down the read process can cause the cyclic redundancy error. It's just one of the errors the PC uses to tell you it's having problems reading.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  3. nascar8

nascar8 Guest

what are the reasons/solutions ?

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Handle the discs with care, clean off the fingerprints and polish the playing surface. Resurfacing tools sometimes repair scratches enough to salvage a DVD. Do read scans to check for bad presses. Nothing can be done, but at least you know the cause. If the cyclic redundancy error starts popping up more often than seems reasonable, clean the optic head. All the cyclic redundancy errors I've seen have pretty much been due to these problems. Sometimes you get into transfer with external drives. Like I said before, anything that causes a delay in reading can cause cyclic redundancy.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

CRC- Cyclitical Redundancy Check. If this error pops up,it means there are bad sectors on the disc you are trying rip.When it rips and hits a bad sector,it keeps cycling-trying to get through that bad spot.After a certain amount of time,it'll stop and error out.

The leading Culprits:

1)Scratched/dirty/and bum discs are 1 reason for the crc error.Keep those discs clean.Take care of them. Quite a few bad pressed discs-bum-get out of the manufacturers.

Solutions: Keep them clean,look for damage,take them back for an exchange if its a bum disc.

2) Encryption.

Dvd shrink can't handle every movie out there. It does have trouble with some of the newer releases since it hasn't been updated for over 2 yrs.These are some of the errors for encryption related:

CRC
    Illegal Dvd Navigation structure
    Programming Error-Exception occured
    Copy Protection Error-The read failed because the sector is encrypted.

To find out if it may be encryption related,look up the titles of your original dvds that give the crc errors and match them up with this thread:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48842

It's a list of a lot of titles that dvd shrink can't handle by itself.

Solution: Use other ripping software. I use anydvd to help dvd shrink rip most of those newer encrypted releases.Sony,Columbia,Disney,etc. A few other titles,I had to use anydvd and nero recode 2. Gotta learn how to backup using other ripping programs.

3) If you are re-ripping some of your backups or someone elses backups-no encryption,then that error may pop up while trying to rip crappy backups. Too many errors on them. Usually burned too fast,paper/sticker labels,low quality crap media,or a pc of crap dvd-rw drive. Too many errors,or errors on the wrong spots and that CRC error will pop up,making re-ripping a backup for another copy a lot more harder.

Solution: Make your backups as good as you can. Quality media,Up to date firmware for the dvd-rw drive,Standard 4x-8x burn,Backup target of 4360 mbs,No paper/sticker labels,no multitasking,keep harddrive/s defragged.