1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cyclic redundancy check, crc data errors. New Problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by joeyjoey, Apr 8, 2004.

1. joeyjoey

joeyjoey Member

I recognize that crc errors may be caused by bad (i.e. dirty, scratch, warped) DVDs, but here's a new problem.

In my attempt to copy movies I have been able to try multiple copies of the same DVD, and in all cases I will get crc errors (reported by DVD Shrink) at the same point in the disks. In other words, say the disk I'm trying to copy is Mona Lisa Smile and I have three original versions (perhaps my own copy, my sister's copy, and a friend's). All three of these original discs will report crc errors at 71% disk analysis.

Another catch, however. Those crc errors were all reported repeatedly by my Plextor PX-116A DVD-Rom drive, I tried one in my Plextor PX-708A drive and it worked!

A number of other movies, like X2 for one, are yielding crc errors in similar fashion.

By the way, when these crc errors occur the drive starts making these loud clicks and whirling noises, doesn't sound good for the drive and I'll be ticked if this is something protection scheme that can actually harm your DVD drive.

I was thinking this could be caused by my relatively new DVD-Rom drive going bad, but the fact that the discs all err in the same postion casts a little doubt on that.

Thoughts anyone???

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,
    AND
    AND
    AND
    Looks like the Plextor PX-116A is faulty.....

A number of disks exhibit the behaviour on that drive, but are ok on a different drive.

The drive fails at the same place with multiple copies of multiple disks.

It makes clicking and whirring noises (seek errors).

Everything is pointing to that drive, Sorry!!!

Get it changed.

Good Luck...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  3. joeyjoey

joeyjoey Member

Let me clarify one thing, just in case.

One movie, say Mona Lisa smile, will fail at "71% analyzed" for each different mona lisa smile disk.

Another movie, say XMen2, will fail at "41% analyzed" every time for each different disk.

Although the percent analyzed does not correspond directly to the sector of the disk being analyzed, after noticing this on a number of different disks I think it is failing at different sectors of the DVD, depending on some other factor. There must be something about the data at these points on the disks that is causing the failure.

Other DVDs work fine on the Plextor PX-116A, that being the drive in question. I do plan to look into having it replaced now though.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Your Plextor has bad juju.