1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cyclic redundancy check ... please help

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by loxley32, Apr 23, 2005.

1. loxley32

loxley32 Member

Hi ... I am backing up my Incredible Hulk tv series box set, and I am having trouble with disc 2. When running it through DVD Shrink it gets right down to the last 10 seconds of finishing and I get an error message that reads "DVD Shrink encountered an error - failed to read file "D:\" Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
    I try running the dsic through DVD Decrypter and I gets and error at 99% complete.
    This is not the first time this has happened. The discs are in perfect shape - it is not dust or a scratch causing the error.

any help is appreciated ...

Brian

2. negatyve

negatyve Member

From http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cyclic-redundancy.html

There are plenty of technical resources on the Web that discuss cyclic redundancy checks (CRCs). Most times you won't need to worry about this technobabble. That is, until one it day it suddenly appears and you think - what the hell does that mean? In simple terms, a CRC is bit of mathematics used to ensure that your data is OK when being transfered. It's a checking procedure that quickly identifies when data has been damaged. If you get this message, it means that the file being read by your PC or software is corrupted. However, it does not mean all the data is lost forever. When data is transfered, it is usually in small blocks and each block is given a CRC value. If something goes wrong with the data between the time it leaves the source and arrives at its destination, the CRC sent at the source will no longer match the one that is calculated when the data arrives - this is when the cyclic redundancy check error will appear.

The most common times you will see the cyclic redundancy check error message is when trying to read data from a damaged CD or DVD. Just before it appears, your CD/DVD drive will probably grind and whirl away - your PC may also become a little slugglish.

For CDs and DVDs, the problem is a little different. Normally, when CD/DVD drives get a CRC message from a disc, they try to read the disc again - hence the grinding sound. After several failed attempts, they give up and display the redundancy check error. The problem can be hardware (loose cables, failing drive), software or damaged media. In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is the easiest way to overcome the problem. If different clean discs produce the same error, it is likely to be a hardware issue (check the discs in another drive). Another common cause of these errors is poorly burnt CDs and DVDs - especially those that had numerous or severe buffer underuns. USB burners suffer from this problem when the burn speed is too high (generally above 4X-8X)

If the discs are damaged, you'll probably need a recovery tool to get back your data. CDCheck 3 will work for CDs and DVDs. First it will check the media, and then you have the option to recover the files. It's free for personal use and has saved many people heartache when it comes to recovering lost digital images and videos from damaged CDs.

CD Check 3 is freeware available at http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/cd-recovery.html

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  3. loxley32

loxley32 Member

I download the program, but now what>? I cannot find a guide of any sorts for this program .... I am not even sure if I need this or not. It is not a software or hardware issue as far as my compyter is concerned and the discs are clean and unscratched.

4. negatyve

negatyve Member

It HAS to be either Hardware, Software or Media. Now, if the media is not scratched and clean, that leaves just software or hardware. If you've tried multiple software utilities and they produce the same result, then that leaves hardware.

First I'd open the case and unplug the IDE cable (the ribbon cable)from the dvd-rom and then plug it back in, making sure the plug is all the way in. If that doesn't work try ripping the dvd on another pc or from another dvd-rom. If that does not work then the disc has a manufacturing flaw, if it does then the lens on your dvd-rom is either in need of cleaning or is failing. Beyond that possibilities are doubtful but many...failing power supply, failing onboard (s)ata, software conflict, ect.

I do not know how to use the program since I've never used it. The information I first gave you was copied from the website at the top of the post, it would be used only in the case of faulty media, so check out the disc on another dvd-rom...if it works you won't need the recovery software.

5. movies27

movies27 Regular member

you need anydvd

6. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Better yet, clean your DVD and inspect for scratches. If none return the discs for a replacement. Some duplication houses use extremely cheap media and write them at extremely high speed. Try another drive to read them and if they work there your drive is the culprit. 99% of the time its the disc having a scratch on the bottom plate. Note DO NOT buy a disc refinishing kit to cover the scratches. You will only create more. A more practicle approach is to use a very tiny dot of 3M (or equivalent) polishing compound on a Q-Tip and gently rub the scratch out and polish with a clean soft cloth. Even better spend 50 cents on gas and drive to the store for a replacement. Have fun at the store too, go to the clerk and say "I'm making two hundred copies of this thing and it won't even read in my drive so that I can make the copies." Note you did not say you were selling them nor did you say you were making illegal copies. Title 18 USC out the door you go.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  7. loxley32

loxley32 Member

A friend of mine also has this box set and I borrowed dsic 2 from him to see if his disc 2 would copy. I got the same error. I tried running ANYDVD while using DVD Shrink, still no luck. Any ideas?

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

That is frustrating because there is not anything you really need on the last 10 seconds of the movie. You are probably trying to copy the entire disc, menus and all so this may not be the greatest idea, however at this point it may be worth trying.

I assume you are completing the analysis portion of the Shrink process. Your error happens during the encoding....is that correct?

If you are able to complete the analysis of the movie then you can re-author it.
    Select Re-author after analyzing.

Drag the main movie title into the compilation window on the left.

Locate the two opposing blue arrows and click them. This opens the Set Start/End frames feature.

Now using the buttons and sliders you should be able to trim off enough of the movie ending to finish the movie before the bad spot is reached.

Another thing to do is to let Decrypter skip over the error. Once in a while this works.

The Shrink method I described disables the menu so this may be a last resort method...and only if you can complete the analysis step.

9. loxley32

loxley32 Member

fasfrank ..thanks for the reply .. yes, it is happened in the last 10 secinds of the encoding stage of DVD Shrink. I will try what you suggested .... thank you.

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I actually have a guide for using that feature if you need it. It is more for making clips but that's sort of what you would be doing. Making a really long clip.

Anyhow it may help to look at it. Its a Flash thing I made so hopefully your PC will play it.

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial001.html

11. loxley32

loxley32 Member

fasfrank .. give me about 10 more minutes and I'll let you know if it worked ... I am 34% complete with the encoding now.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  12. loxley32

loxley32 Member

It cut off on me with 5 seconds left instead of the usual 10 seconds ... I ran the ending back a few more seconds and I am trying again .... thank you for your help.

13. loxley32

loxley32 Member

Fasfrank ... it worked!!!! I trimmed off the closing credits, and it ran through perfect! Thank you very much for your help ...

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Cool!!
    Edges of discs can have problems that you can't even see. Sometimes they get warped as well and that will show up as the same kind of error.
    Anyhow I'm glad you were able to get it burned. It was a last resort method!

15. buttmunch

buttmunch Member

MOD EDIT: If you ever spam or try to recruit members with off topic posts again you'll be banned.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  16. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Butmuncher....What is your point in posting that here?

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I put that there Frank. He spammed an ad for site site in several forums and I didn't have the time or inclination to post a response in every thread so I just put that in each of his spams for him to see. It wasn't a very well thought out plan on my part so I'll edit them now to show it was from me and avoid anymore confusion :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005