1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyclic Redundancy Check

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Raptorman, May 30, 2003.

1. Raptorman

Raptorman Guest

How do Cyclic Redundancy check (CRC) errors happen? I was watching a movie that I had just converted to Xvid and about ten minutes from the end I get a crc error and cant watch the rest of the movie. How do these errors occur and is there any way to prevent them? Could it have been because I overburnt the cd I was watching from? I checked all my other over burnt xvids and none of them had this problem.

2. GIR

GIR Member

I've had this problem before. It seems to be due to a bad burn. Not necessarily due to overburning, as I've not overbuned any time this has happened to me. The only solution I can think of is to make sure any programs that might muck up the burning process aren't running while burning. Also, I think I've heard that such CRC errors don't occur when using a Unix based system. (if you are so inclined)

ciao

3. Raptorman

Raptorman Guest

Thanks for the reply, thats what I thought too, just a burning error. Too bad I delted the avi before I checked the movie :(