1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cyclic redundancy check

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by tmunson, Feb 12, 2005.

1. tmunson

tmunson Member

I tried using DVD Shrink and it got to 24% analysing and then the program stopped, then a message box stating DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.Failed to read file E:/. Data error(cyclic redundancy check). Where do I go from here?

2. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

make sure the disc is clean....i have gotten that message in the past a lot of times when the disc wasn't really clean...

3. tmunson

tmunson Member

It was a new DVD but I cleaned it but did not make any difference. Oh well, will just have to be extra careful with this one.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

have you tried ripping w/ DVD Decrypter first?

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Usually this message appears with a slightly (microscopically) damaged disc that cannot be read accurately. By all means try Decrypter but if you keep getting the same problem you will just have to accept that it cannot be backed up.

6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

dvd decrypter can be set to ignore read errors:

Tools-->Settings-->I/O

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What movie is the one giving you this crc error?

The 24% analyzing spot: Is this the initial quick analyzation or the slow/deep- analyzing before the encoding stage?

2 movies come to mind when I tried to back them up and it would give the crc error on the initial,2 minute quick analysis:Resident evil apacolypse and The Grudge.

With these newer encryptions,it's getting harder to tell if you actually have a damaged disc or that new encryption is throwing shrink off.Running anydvd will help shrink rip it to your hard drive.

If still having problems backing it up after trying the free trial of anydvd then that would eliminate the encryption possibility, then set dvd decrypter to: Rip with Brute Force and ignore all read errors.

8. tmunson

tmunson Member

I used DVD Decrypter and it did not seem to have any problem with coping the movie, "The Grudge" to the hard drive. But now it is too big to burn onto a DVD. I tried DVD Shrink but says it can't continue because of an error in reading the file. Should I go back and see if setting DVD Decrypter to Brute force or is there just something Im not doing right with the DVD Shrink

9. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

go back and use Decrypter to create an .iso image, then use Shrink. this almost always works in scenarios such as the aforementioned, at least it has for me and many others on this forum.

10. tmunson

tmunson Member

ok, thanks, i will try that....

11. dungbeetl

dungbeetl Member

dont replace anything.
    try file copy (which tries to read the damaged or dodgy data a hundred times more than most progs), then use DVDShrink on the files on the HDD, and if file copy still says CRC, then download CDCheck
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cyclic-redundancy.html which will replace missing data. DVD's are crap, as a single missing zero or one will cause the whole thing to CRC stop, but this combo has allowed me to backup all DVDs so far which have failed due to CRC. (i do about 20 a week and one is allways dodgy)

enjoy.