1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cyclic redundancy check

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by ballboy88, Oct 26, 2007.

1. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

i am havin problems with some files on my comp. The main one i will describe concerns a file i have been downloading using Utorrent. i have got to 72% but now when i try to start it d/loadin again, after running through a check it is telling me there is a cyclic redundancy error. i have read up on it a bit and see it s to do with certain packets if info in the file not being the same when checked at the receiving end but i don't know how to go about remedying the situation. i remember this same thing being said about a different file the other day but can't remember if it was to do with a torrent or not. can anyone give me a hand plz??

2. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

3. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

i found somethin similar on the utorrent site but now i need to go about how to try an repair it as it looks like a corrupt section on my hard disc as i removed the files that were givin probs and its happened to others.

4. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Two possible causes:

1.Your HDD has decided to bite the bullet, this has happened to me.

2.Your RAM is going bad.

Most likely culprit is your hdd though.

5. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

i think u could b right, i've been workin at it since an i'm comin 2 the conclusion ma hard disk is about to go on gardening leave. i reinstalled windows back onto my c drive hopin (against hope) it would right itself. i eft my partitioned d drive alone for now but thats where i've had the error since. though strangely its only been with files that have come from torrents but i cant see anythin else to link it. i did a chkdsk /r last night and it just stuck after replacing 4 bad clusters so i had to reset the comp manually. i just ran a chkdsk itself there and it told me it had found problems with the file system an i should run chkdsk /f to repair so i'll try that now an get back to u on it. cheers

6. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

nope i deffo think its my hard drive. i thought i had got somewhere after i reinstalled windows and started again from scratch. then i tried repeated chkdsk, chkdsk /r, chkdsk /f commands in DOS. i didnt get any more error messages for a while but the chkdsk commands would fail at certain points so i knew i still had a fault somewhere and it was looking like it had to be my HDD. Today i got another cyclic redundancy ceck (again with a file downloading through the torrent!) so the problem is still there. looks like i need to get a new comp.

7. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

You dont need a new computer, just pick up a new hdd. I am sure you can find a quality Seagate in the 500 gig variety for about $100...which comes with a 5 year warranty mind you.g

8. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

that sounds a better option. i'm using an Acer Notebook though so will that make much of a difference to the price ??

9. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Although notebook HDD's are a bit more expensive then a desktop HDD, you can still pick up a 120 gig HDD for around $100. I had the same exact situation as you, my HDD crapped out in my laptop. I thought it was going to be torture fixing the problem, but it really wasnt. Here are some HDD's you may be interested in, you can always google your laptop model to find exactly how to get to your HDD....I got lucky and only had to remove 3 screws.

Please ask if you need any help!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  10. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

i'll look into it. thanx brother.

11. axxxo

axxxo Regular member

should this cyclic redundancy error be happening to every torrent for me to be worried about my hdd or is it cause for concern anyway if it just happens now and then?

12. axxxo

axxxo Regular member

Just an update, i ran a disk check and it replaced bad sectors on the disk so hopefully this will resolve the problem.