1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cyclic redundancy error

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by hobbitoz, Feb 1, 2005.

1. hobbitoz

hobbitoz Member

Hi,

I've been using DVD shrink version 3.2 succesfully for the last week or so to encode DVDs, however tonight I received an error message when trying to backup "The Lion King" special edition and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" that i've never seen before. When I hit "open disk" and selected the DVD drive, instead of bringing up the little uber-fast-playback-of-movie window, an error message came up, saying DVD shrink can't open it because of a "cyclic redundancy error". What does this mean? Have these DVDs got some kind of security that DVD shrink can't get past or something? (btw, the discs play properly, i checked)
    DVD shrink still works for other discs at the moment.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I was able to do both of those discs without a problem,so its not a new encryption problem.
    CRC errors usually means, a dirty, scratched, or bad disc,it can even mean dirty opticals.

3. hobbitoz

hobbitoz Member

I don't think the discs are dirty though, cos they both play just fine all the way through, and the lens on the DVD-rom is fine too, as i've just encoded another DVD after putting my thread up.

I made a mistake when i put it up too...Crouching tiger hidden dragon's error is that the DVD drive can't be read AT ALL which i don't get either...as i can operate the disc with ASUS DVD

4. hobbitoz

hobbitoz Member

OK, not to worry anymore (I think!!!) as i've now got DVD Decryptor doing the job for me..hopefully it'll work!!! (Crosses fingers)

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Look into getting AnyDVD also to run in the background. They stay on top of all updates.

6. Cman

Cman Member

There is a new type of encryption designed to cause I/O errors and such. I have seen this happen with DVDShrink. If you run the new AnyDVD proggie in the background, you should be fine. Check with ScubaPete's guide site for the details..

7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

AnyDvd is a great program, and I highly recommend it,but for those movies its not necessary.
    Thats why I didnt mention AnyDvd.