1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyclic Redundancy... tried everything

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by xian2006, Apr 10, 2007.

1. xian2006

xian2006 Member

yes, i have tried using DVD Decrypter, Nero, and AnyDVD and NOTHING works.

every program gives me an error message. is there any way i can kick this error messages ass?? because im getting really sick of it.

the dvds in question that i am trying to backup are:
    National Lampoon's Dorm Daze
    Mallrats
    The Missing
    Clerks
    American Pie 2 and Encino Man

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. onya

onya Guest

*** REPORTED ***

3. xian2006

xian2006 Member

what do you mean 'reported'?? last year i had all of my cds stolen out of my car, so i figured i would backup my entire media library in case anything were to happen to them... what is wrong with that??

4. onya

onya Guest

Nice try. Foul or obusive language will not be tolerated here at AD.

5. xian2006

xian2006 Member

then dont. i took the courtesy of editing my original post, once in a while in the heat of frustration, a cuss word will slip out; sue me.

now can you help answer my question or are you just going to continue frowning upon me??

6. dvdchick

dvdchick Regular member

hey some of the newer dvd's have more protection codes ,try useing dvdfab decrypter here you go..http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DVDFab_Decrypter hope this helps..

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Cyclic Redundancy is usually caused by an inability to read the DVD. Source condition is often the problem, scratches, smudges, and fingerprints are often the culprit. Discs should be clean and polished and not badly scratched. Anything that can cause a read problem can cause the Cyclic Redundancy error. Sometimes a bad press can cause the problem. A scan would show if that's the situation. A bad press isn't that common, so my bet is the physical condition of the discs. Did you let them get in a sad condition that's affecting the backup?

8. xian2006

xian2006 Member

thank you both for your fast replies!!

ill try that link, and no, they are in mint condition... ill bet its just that they're heavily encoded.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You'll have to excuse me, I won't help you on this one. AnyDVD is supposed to be able to cut right through the copy protection as long as you keep it updated. Normally with Shrink or Nero Recode, AnyDVD will go right ahead and do the backups with ease. Since these are so heavily encrypted you may not be able to do them. (I thought these releases were older and didn't have the heavier copy protection.) Have you tried DVDFab Decrypter or RipIt4Me? I hear they're good with heavy copy protection.

But if you keep getting the Cyclic Redundancy error, do a scan of the discs with ScanDisc in CD-DVD Speed in Nero's Tools. If you see a bunch of bad sectors on the graph, that would account for a Cyclic Redundancy error.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  10. xian2006

xian2006 Member

what do u mean?? u r helping me a lot just by telling me this info, thank you very much... dvdfab is working thanks everyone!! :)

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

De nada. It's strange though that DVDFab Decrypter is working and AnyDVD wouldn't. Those releases really weren't that difficult. Whatever... Just goes to show it pays to have a variety of tools.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  12. xian2006

xian2006 Member

actually it looks like i spoke too soon... what do i do if dvdfab decrypter comes up with error messages as well??

i agree these arent tough releases, thats why i dont understand the problem, amd i doing something wrong?? should i rip one of them with nero recode and post the error log??

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

xian2006,

Let's make sure in the future we keep it clean even "in the heat of the moment".

14. xian2006

xian2006 Member

not a problem, im just saying once in a while, you get on a roll and just type your fingers off. ill watch it. do you have any suggestions??

is there also any way to tweak anydvd's settings??

15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've made copies of my own Mallrats, Clerks and American Pie 2 with no problems so unless the studios arbitrarily started putting new protections on old releases I can't imagine thats the problem.

For clarity's sake, you can take any other random disc and it will rip fine correct? And the problem consistently happens every time with all the discs listed? If it was happening to most any disc I'd tend to think either the drive was starting to fail or the lens was dirty but if the answers are 'yes' to my above questions I'd rule them out.

With so many different softwares hanging up on the same discs I'd say its not the drive or software but something to do with the discs themselves. Have you noticed if the apps consistently hang up at about the same place on the disc? If so it's a 100% disc problem. If not we still have the drive and software as variables.

Do you have access to another drive and/or PC in which to try and rip the problem discs? If so I'd definitely try that too.

16. xian2006

xian2006 Member

thanks!! ill try that, ill let you know what happens... you know, even if you cant help me figure out my problem, i wanna say that you are incredibly helpful, and a real great AD member!

17. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

would it be to much to ask for a pic with bad sector?
    thanks

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

xian2006,

Can you rip any DVD's at all?

I had this problem once and it was actually the DVD ROM drive went bad. If you have another drive to try I would give that a go.

19. xian2006

xian2006 Member

i only have 1 drive for the time being, but yeah i JUST backed up Encino Man, Ace Ventura2, Half Baked and Beverly Hills Ninja...

im trying to run my skip doctor on the bad ones but it isnt helping.

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

dying/dirty drive gets my vote..