1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cyclic redundancy

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by labbrat, Feb 24, 2007.

1. labbrat

labbrat Guest

hi
    got prob with episode dvd.tried aggressive brute force on dycrypter.tried:isobuster,dvd fab,alcohol prog on disc and alcohol internally.no joy.shrink able 2 do 4 episodes.prob with remaining 2 episodes.
    cannot understand if was css prob shud whole disc episodes b unobtainable?...may go back 2 brute force and use it as rifle target!

2. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

failed to read file x:\ data error cyclic redundancy Data error

Possible causes:

The disk is either badly scratched, diry/smudged in areas where info can't be read correctly, a bad press (digitally faulty), or copy protection shrink (or decrypter) can't handle because of its discontinued support/advancement.

-If the disk looks dirty/smudged, clean it, then try again.

-If it's copy protection that's causing shrink to spit out the error... then try any one of these options:

1) DVDfab decrypter (version 3.0.8.0), it's a very good and supported free whole movie ripper/decrypter. Use it to rip the video files to your HDD, open the files ripped using shrink and proceed as you normally would.

DVDFab
    http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm

2) Ripit4me, it takes the ripping/transcoding/and burning process and makes it a one click task. You'll need DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, and FixVTS to make it all work.

Ripit4me
    http://www.ripit4me.org/

3) Download and install the trial version of AnyDVD. Once installed, run DVD dhrink as you normally would to produce a backup, AnyDVD runs in the backround to crack the copy protection on the disk.

anydvd
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

-If the disk is clean and any of the above methods fail, you could have a possible bad press, if so then you'll need to exchange it for another and try it again.

3. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

labbrat,
    Welcome to the forum. If you have tried the newest version of DVDFAB Decrypter and Ripit4Me to rip the DVD to HD and you still get a CRC error then you have a bad mastering press and you need to return the DVD for exchange.

4. labbrat

labbrat Guest

hi all
    thanx 4 info.found people most helpful.hopefully as i learn more i will beable 2 share any gems i have aquired.

5. labbrat

labbrat Guest

ripit4me inconjunction with decrypter brill idea.ripit makes sense out of decrypter and told me exactly what the prob was.it managed to extract all but a few damaged cells.hence it told me to clean the dvd! so now i getting out the brasso etc.thanx all

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Remember you're dealing with polycarbonate. I wonder about brasso. Car polish would be better. First I'd try some window cleaner and s soft cloth to buff the surface. I use a resurfacing tool because I'm always running into scratched up discs. It even keeps the scratched backups playing longer.

7. pggii

pggii Member

Hi All!

I've got the same problem with a different disk:

Grosse Pointe: The Complete Series - Disc2

I had NO problem using Shrink/AnyDVD combo to dupe Disc 1, but, afer trying EVERYTHING that's listed above -- including exchanging for a different copy -- it still bombs out at around 58% completion just analyzing in Shrink. I can't even get to the point where I'm even able to rip the DVD to disk.

The Disc is "brand-new" never been played before, so I know there are no scratches and it's not dirty.

Help!!! Anybody having the same/similar problem??

8. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

pggii,
    If you have tried to rip it w/ Ripit4Me and DVDFAB Decrypter and it fails at about the same spot then either the disk is mastered incorrectly or your laser is not aligned correctly. I'll Bet on the Bad Mastering Press and yes all of the disks that were pressed by that low-cost provider can be bad

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If you have Nero or another program with utilities, do a scan of the disc to see if there are bad sectors. The free DVDInfoPro will do the scan. If a bunch of bad sectors show up about half way through the scan (58%?), you're looking at your problem. It doesn't occur too often, but I've seen a bad press often enough I check for it when a disk won't record.

10. labbrat

labbrat Guest

hi johnl123,car.mike,pacman777,an d rest of d peoples
    you lot full of ideas!
    guess tho pacman rite. brasso may be a bit harsh.
    i am going to claw back my disc cleaner off my son!
    tho beware...i got carried away last time and disc ended up
    lookin like a skating rink

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOL That bad? Since your son has the disc cleaner and probably has the practice, let him do the disc for you. If directions aren't followed, the discs can end up getting scratched worse.