1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cylclowiz v2 or wiikey

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by mub6, May 1, 2007.

1. mub6

mub6 Regular member

hey guys, i know this has been covered in the sticky above and most of you seem to be in favour of the wiikey but i just checked a website that was also stickied above which states that the cyclowiz v2 is better, since i am in a pal region, it plays back ups from all other regions whereas the wikey has only partial support for ntsc, the cyclowiz also has updates for it via dvd, it has everything you would want in it right? which one shall i go for? or is there an even better mod i can buy?

2. ghostboy6

ghostboy6 Regular member

the wiikey also has the ability to update via dvd which will be coming out soon.

3. mub6

mub6 Regular member

yes but apparantly the cylowiz has 100% support for all regions, where as the wiikey has only partial support, im not too bothered about the updates, its more about the region support, so on that basis, is cyclowiz v2 better? or is there any other preference? becasue apart from the cyclowiz v2 having better features, people still 'seem' to favour the wiikey. i dunno. somebody please help

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The sight that is linked below says that CycloWiz V3.0 has full region support for both NTSC and PAL Gamecube games. But the Wii NTSC and PAL games are still partially supported.

So it depends on what games you want to have full region free support for. You still will only have partial region free support when it comes to the Wii games.

http://www.wii-ftw.com/?page=modchips

Wiikey is the most popular Modchip on this site. But I have also read threads that say the GameCube compatibility on the Wiikey chip is not the best. Plus most other Modchips have a disable feature for the chip where Wiikey doesn't.

I have a WiiD myself and I have yet had any trouble with my Game Cube games and all my Wii games have played. I tend to use the region games that my Wii system is in (NTSC) so I haven't ran into any region compatibility problems on the Wii games. But below is a link to a region compatibility list for both patcher's and Modchips...

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Wii_Region_Free_Patcher_Compatibility_List#NTSC-U_.28USA.29_to_PAL

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  5. spawn1980

spawn1980 Regular member

Do you know if the wiid have Improved readsettings for recordable media.

6. mub6

mub6 Regular member

well to be honest i dont care at all about homebrew or gc games, i just wanna play backups (NTSC as well as PAL) on my pal region wii. so it seems that there is no modchip currently available that fulfils my requirements, seems like i will just have to wait until a better modchip is released... unless, the NTSC region support is improved with upgrades on the modchip via dvd. is this possible? or can it only be done by upgrading the hardware itself,
    thanks in advance

Last edited: May 3, 2007