1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d link di 604 xp pro

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by leeo, Mar 28, 2005.

1. leeo

leeo Member

i go to network places click on view network computers, and both new (which is the good puter) and old (which is the blind puter) i then click on the good puter and get this message: "geneo-19e6860ce is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrater of this sever to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found." geneo-19e6860ce is the good puter and i get the same message when right click and then click properties. it says they are on the same workgroup (mshome). again i can ping from good puter and its ok but when i try to ping the good from the blind puter nothing goes through (time out) norton fire wall is off.

2. leeo

leeo Member

i should have said xp firewall is off

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

OK leeo. That message sounds like the problem is on the good computer. There may be a simple option checked. Go to the good system and check this stuff out.

-Right click on my network places. Select properties.
    -Right click on the LAN card and select properties. Look at the section that says "This connection uses The following items". Make sure the following are checked: Client for Microsoft networks, File and print sharing...., QoS Packet Scheduler, and Internet Protocol.
    -Highlite TCP/IP and click on properties. Click Advanced\options tab\properties.
    -You should now be in TCP/IP filtering. In here make sure everything is set to Permit all. You can now close all windows and try again.

If this does not work thenn install NETBIOS for now as a work around. This is not a fix but will make things work. Here is how you do it.

-Right click "my network places" and select properties.
    -Right click your LAN connection and select properties.
    -Click install. Select Protocol and hit ADD.
    -Double click on "NWLink IPX/SPX/NETBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol". The window will go away and it will seem that nothing is going on. It is installing the Protocol. Once it has finished you will be back on the Properties window.

This must be done on both computers. Your internet will still work the same. The computers just won't talk to eachother on TCP/IP. The only time this may be a problem is if you chose to play a game between the two systems. Some programs will also not like the setup. Most programs will work fine like this.

Hope this helps
    -Del

4. leeo

leeo Member

the last instructs didn't change anything so went looking at all my fire wall and norton settings. found a setting in a sygate personal firewall that wouldn't give access to the good puter from the blind puter. your instructions did get me to thinking so its all good. Thanks Again Del