1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D2CKey + FlexPCB installation with no prior soldering experience

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by rkho, Feb 12, 2008.

1. rkho

rkho Member

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a question for you guys, hope I can get this answered =]

I bought a Wii just two weeks ago, and I have yet to open it up but am pretty much 99% convinced that it's a D2C chip because I bought it new from Gamestop.

Anyways, I'm looking to mod it with a modchip. I've read that Argon isn't too stable (that and it requires some USB thing to stick out of the console which is a turn off). D2Ckey seems to be the modchip of choice, and D2Pro which was just released today doesn't have a FlexPCB board or so to make it easier to mod (well, there is a way to use the FlexPCB for it but I have not found a detailed guide to it).

So, I've digressed far enough. Here are my questions:

1. Would you recommend that a person like myself with no prior soldering experience try to install the D2Ckey via FlexPCB?

2. If not, would you recommend that I use the D2Pro instead? With or without FlexPCB?

3. If still no, and the suggested route is that I take it to an experienced/"professional" modder, are there any recommended modders that are around the Bay Area?

Thanks in advance.

2. juniR

juniR Guest

No experience at all - I advise you NOT to do it yourself.

Chips are debatable I would say but any of the chips for D2C will do a job.

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I would recommend getting either Infectus2/Argon or D2Pro. All are upgradeable and will need the ribbon cable to do so.

They also have less wires to solder Infectus/Argon 13 wires (17 for Imports) D2Pro 15 wires (19 for Imports). Also instillation service is usually $20 to $30 cheaper then the D2CKey instillation when having a professional mod your system.

The D2CKey has 30+ wires for instillation. Plus the FlexPCB is intended on having a cleaner install. It really doesn't make the instillation of the chip any easier. You still have to solder to all the legs on the chipset.

I have an ARGON with Injectus programmer and updating is easy. The ribbon cable is routed out the Game Cube Memory Card slot so it is pretty much hidden when the white flap is closed.

The ARGON supports all Wii games plus Import compatibility is available now as well. The only issue as of now is Game Cube compatibility but they are working on it and should have a fix soon.

The Infectus/Argon and D2Pro can be installed using Alternate via points on the back side of the drive board. This giving an instillation option that does not require you to solder to the legs of the chipset itself.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008