1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D2Ckey vs. Argon

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Thummy, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Thummy

Thummy Member

I bought a new WII, with he D2C chip, and wonder what modchip to use.

I am reading a lot in fora about this now, and I get the impression that many people think Argon is better becouse it can be updated.
    On the other hand it looks like Argon already has it's 1.3 version now and is still not totally right, while on D2CKey no errors are reported.
    If I read all info right, D2Ckey also suggest it does not need updates (and never will) becouse it works on a different way than the old modchips (like WIIkey and so)

Argon needs less wires, but i dont think that is also better.
    My gutfeeling directs me to D2Ckey, but i'm not sure yet.
    Can anybody contribute to my thoughts?

2. Vergil902

Vergil902 Member

Argon, it has more compatibility than d2c key or wii key, its upgradeable, and easier to install.

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The ARGON has major issues with Game Cube games at this time but is being worked on. As far as I know there isn't much compatibility differences between Wii games on either of the 2 chips so I don't know if you could claim ARGON has better compatibility.

D2CKey claims it is upgradeable but there hasn't been a need to update it where ARGON has been proven to be upgradeable already.

With the D2Pro (From Wiikey/D2CKey) coming out sometime this month I would put my money in that before I would a D2Ckey. It offers less wires then the D2CKey and supposedly is upgradeable as well.

I ordered the ARGON myself but can not say much about it because it hasn't been installed yet. But as I said before the D2CKey shouldn't even be a choice since the D2Pro will be out soon and replace the D2CKey.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  4. IrishTR

IrishTR Member

Both Argon/Infectus are new to the scene and have already required a few updates due to issues and some still existing that they claim they are working on. Which is a good thing active progress from their camp insures they are looking out for their product. And yes it is upgradeable.

D2CKey has been out for quite some time and proven itself to be 100% strong. Works with every Wii/GC Game (and I can vouch for the Wii side of it as I have thrown every single game on the market backed up at it and worked on everyone.) Even when SMG came out and other brands were racing to upgrade.... D2CKey didnt need it. Yes it takes more wires to install, big deal a couple more minutes to me for true 100% compatibility means more than a few less wires for less compatibility and having to update a chip.

Now some hard facts - Argon costs more and you have to purchase the programmer which is another added cost... D2CKey just plain works.

If you use the less wires as your basis for which chip I would call that foolish for the simple fact if you can install 13 wires on an already difficult install what does some more wires mean... Just some time... Wouldnt you want your valuable time to payoff anyways?

Granted I liked what the Argon claimed to offer and has plans to do. But right now it just isnt my chip of choice because I want to play games now not later...

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Yes the D2CKey seems to work flawlessly now but what happens when a new protection comes out that the D2CKey will not work with?

If you can update the D2CKey (they claim it can be) you more then likely will need to do it via programmer like the ARGON and will need to buy a programmer anyway.

I also doubt the D2Ckey team will put much more effort into the D2CKey with the D2Pro coming out soon.

So as I said before if your leaning toward the D2CKey I would wait and get a D2Pro instead.

I for 1 am excited about getting my ARGON installed. Just sent it out today for instillation. Plus I am looking forward to the updates in store for the chip in the future. Updates are always a good thing plus it shows the team is behind their product.

6. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

What are the reasons you are having someone else install your chip, does it seem too difficult for you to install yourself, are you missing fingers, visually impaired, or have had bad prior experiences? I ask because you seem very knowledgeable about this stuff in all of your posts and seems you wouldn't have any problems doing this install yourself.

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

missing fingers?

The last install I tried was the Alt install and the drive ended up not inserting or ejecting game disc.

Have no idea what was up with it. Even cleaned everything up and checked fuses and still didn't insert or eject game disc. So I ordered a new drive and have sent it out to be modded by NDarkness.

8. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

OH ok, just curious........I work at a Steel Mill so people with missing fingers isn't out of the ordinary.

I installed my own Wiikey last year and need to install a Argon or D2CKey for another Wii, so with the greater degree of difficulty, just weighing my options and self confidence now. I think I will wait and see what kind of options the D2Pro will bring.

9. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

Just found this on the web.........looks like I will be ordering an Argon and doing the "miss a leg" install unless an alternate D2Pro install method will be available soon.

Is there any truth to the second posters quote from the D2cKey Team.

"There is only one version of D2CKey in the market, and there are no plans to release a new version since D2CKey is working perfectly!"

http://forums.nintendo-scene.com/index.php?topic=1368

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

D2Pro is from the Wiikey/D2CKey makers it is kinda a 2nd Gen Modchip from Wiikey/D2CKey makers for D2C drive boards.

So no there probably will not be a new D2CKey since they have created the D2Pro chip as an alternate less wire install Modchip.

11. drewnahan

drewnahan Member

What is the difference between the infectus2 and argon chips? They both use the same firmware, and are close to the same price, except infectus2 is a universal chip and could work on future systems. What is the advantage of the argon over infectus2?

12. Oxadillia

Oxadillia Guest

Argon is the inevitable new chip that follows soon after a leap in chips arrives. Its pretty certain that there will be a wave of new chips, and all will feature different pros and cons.

In my opinion, I would definitely go with the D2CKey. I know that it may be difficult to install, but I think you should go for what's tried and tested. New chips will always have some kind of bugs, whereas the chips that have been out for a while have had a chance to iron out some of these bugs, and therefore probably perform better, not to mention they have already had a chance to release more features via an update.

Also remember to get it professionally installed. Don't go the path I did.

13. Oxadillia

Oxadillia Guest

Knowledge isn't essential to this kinda thing. Experience is.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2008
  14. larrylje

larrylje Active member

D2CKey has never had an update out. Even tho they claim it is updatible it hasn't been proven that it can be. You say it is best to go with a proven chip. Well the biggest option a Modchip should have is be updatible and D2CKey has not proved yet that it can be updated.

As I said before the D2Pro modchip will probably take over the D2CKey and the Wiikey/D2CKey team will probably fade D2CKey out all together.

My opion is anyone would be a fool to get a D2CKey at this time since the D2CKey team are releasing a 2nd Gen Modchip (D2Pro) with less wires to install and can be updated for sure.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  15. Oxadillia

Oxadillia Guest

Actually, as far as I know, it has already been confirmed that D2CKey have no plans to make a new chip - mainly because their current one works fine.

Also, I very much doubt they will fade out D2CKey, as in doing so they will damage the reputation of the new chip they are making (if they are actually making one). Also I am fairly sure that if they promised updates, they will make updates.

If you decide to go with another chip, that is entirely your option. I was expressing my opinion on which chip I would go for, and the reasons why. However the points you made about the D2Pro are very interesting, and I am in no means saying that nobody should not consider it, just remember that all chips have their pros and cons.

16. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Below is a few links that reports the new D2Pro (From D2CKey makers) will be available sometime in the beginning of this month.

http://www.thegameforum.com/nintendo-wii-general-discussion/1837-d2pro-d2ckey-makers.html

http://www.ozmodchips.com/d2pro-modchip-for-d2c-wiis-15-wires-p-107.html

http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/D2Pro-Modchip-for-D2C-Wiis-p-69.html

Plus I never said all that have bought D2Ckey are fools. I said you would be fool to get 1 now since they are releasing a 2nd Gen Modchip of the original D2CKey which is D2Pro.

They claim only one version of D2CKey in the market, and there are no plans to release a new version since D2CKey is working perfectly!

Look at the D2Pro and decide for yourself.

17. Oxadillia

Oxadillia Guest

I am by no means questioning the authenticity of the chip, and in fact I would be glad to see it made. My only queries is why make a new chip when your previous model is so early in production, and doing so well?

Why release a new model of what appears to be the same chip when competition such as the argon do exactly the same thing, if not better?

If they intend to sell in early February (basically now) don't you think they are pushing it a bit late, considering they haven't even settled a price, or even added to their news section?

It is almost certain 100% region free is impossible, so how do they accomplish it and avoid the update bricking?

Why not release a new version of the D2Ckey, which would essentially be more stable, than creating an entirely new chip?

If you answer these, I will gladly accept the integrity of this chip.

18. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I actually found this on the D2Pro official website...

http://www.d2pro.com/

Go to distributors and read the section above the distributors list.

If they are not the 1 and the same makers then why do they mention the D2CKey on the official D2Pro website.

As for your above questions I have no answer for you. Ask the D2CKey team why they claim there is not a new chip in the works but yet there evedently is.

19. Oxadillia

Oxadillia Guest

Simply because a new website has sprung up does not validate their authenticity. I am assuming you remember the infamous wiikey clone website. Numerous people fell into that trap.

Also the site is relatively new, and numerous people are saying how it sprung up from nowhere, with no warning or information.

I am suspicious of this whole new chip thing, but I would really like to see this made.

"We would like to make it clear that there has only been one version of D2CKey since the official launch. Different batches of D2CKey may have different manufacturing codes printed on the PCB and the two LEDs may be different colors, but the functionality is identical. There is only one version of D2CKey in the market, and there are no plans to release a new version since D2CKey is working perfectly!" This was the quotation I was referring to earlier.

Also with the flexPCB, installation is not too big an issue.

20. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The Wiikey Clone site was a clone of the Wiikey official site plus a clone of the Wiikey as well.

So your clone theory makes no sense at all with this case. They would have no reason to mention the D2CKey since they are not cloning it. If they where cloning it then they would have called it the D2CKey not D2Pro and cloned the website as well. Not make an entirely different website with an entirely different name. Plus there have been confirmations from sites that say they got the information straight from the D2CKey team themselves.

Most users would rather choose a Modchip that can be installed with half the wires. Yeah yeah allot will say it determines on the product itself. But less wires will get the most attention.

Ill try to answer the questions above that you have asked...

My answer to this is pretty much answered above. Less wires means more attention and more then likely more sales. So the 30+ wire instillation for the D2CKey becomes a downfall for the Modchip. Even if you have a Pro install the Modchip the instilation for the ARGON is $20 to $30 cheaper then the D2CKey.

Same answer as above. Make a new chip with less wires to install. To grab those that would rather have a 13/17 wire instillation rather then the 30+.

I have no clue why the D2CKey team isn't pushing the product on the D2CKey website. Maybe because they have to much invested into the D2CKey at this time and have to much to lose at this time.

What does region free have to do with anything? Plus what does region bricking have to do with anything?

No Modchip is 100% region free and as far as I know there is no Modchip out there that will protect the Wii from a region brick if you have region free enabled.

As stated above maybe they have to much invested in the D2CKey and need to deplete the stock of Modchips they have manufactured and don't want to get caught with both hands in the cookie jar.

I am also suspicious of this whole new chip thing. Something smells fishy "sniffs toward the D2CKey team"