1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D2CKey Wii Better than wiikey?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Legs2701, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Legs2701

Legs2701 Guest

HI Everyone,

I am new to all this modding stuff. Paid someone to do it for me as I am smart enough to know I dont have the skills.

What I would like to know is what all this talk about the D2Ckey is about? Is it better than the wiikey?

I have the wiikey and cant get the new 1.9 & 1.3 upgrades to work
    I just want to play my imported genuine gamecube games and am wondering can anyone get a DC2key or only ones with that board.

If not can you buy these boards or would you not bother because its no better than wiikey?

I have googled and searched the forums for my answers and found nothing so perhaps I am not looking hard enough but hopefully someone out there can help me understand what is going on

Thanks!!

2. juniR

juniR Guest

The D2Ckey is the latest solution for ppl who have bought one of the latest Wiis. It is a chip specifically designed for the D2C drive in these machines. The Wiikey and other chips don't work on this drive.

The Wiikey is designed for the D2A and D2B drives in older machines, such as yours.

To pull your drive out and replace it with a D2C drive incorporating the D2Ckey may well be too much of a job if at all possible. It's certainly gonna cost you.

I would check thoroughly through any instructions to see if you've missed something. For example you are advised to pad the image files of the firmware update and config before burning using the program supplied with the 1.3 config.

I've just bought a premodded Wii with the wiikey and had no problems with updating it's firmware to 1.9g and running the 1.3 config disk.

3. Legs2701

Legs2701 Guest

Thanks Heaps for the info!!

I will just perserve with this disk and try and get it sorted.

I did update it with 1.9 saying complete insert coin but that was using the disk eject method and was told this means it really wasnt updated.
    The 1.3 disk wont save the settings and then I was also told that this is part of the stealth mode so I am really not sure what is going on except that I still cant play all of my genuine ntsc games which is why I was getting frustrated and looking at any alternative possible. GUess I will just ahve to try again

Thanks Again!

4. dg115506

dg115506 Member

Hi I have the latest Wii and got it chipped(D2Ckey). No problems so far, I do use Wiibrickblocker just to be on the safe side. My brother in law has the Wikey and he is having all sorts of problems (older Wii). Since he upgraded the firmware he cannot play games he could play before. He actually semi-bricked it(couldn't access his setting menu) but with the PAL release of Mario Galaxy it sorted out that issue but now the games are playing up. He's tried lots of different media, still no joy.

Check out this page:-

http://www.d2ckey.com/features/intelligent_code_modifying_system.html

and if your in the UK you could do a lot worse than checking out:-

http://ghost2fitter.co.uk/

for fitting the chip.

Darren

5. juniR

juniR Guest

Yeah but it makes no difference - you don't actually have a choice if the drive won't take a D2C chip. You also have no choice if the drive does take the D2C chip - cos then you can't fit the wiikey to it can ya? ... which was what the query was actually about ;)

6. dg115506

dg115506 Member

Where does it say you cant fit the DC2 and the initial query was

What I would like to know is what all this talk about the D2Ckey is about? Is it better than the wiikey?

So if your gonna post at least have the decency to read all the comments..

D:)

7. juniR

juniR Guest

hmmm... perhaps you shouldn't be so ignorant and have the "decency" to read the initial post and my first response (very slowly if you need to :D) instead of trying to slap me about my manners ;)

You can NOT fit a D2CKey to a D2A or D2B drive which was what was being asked in the opening post. The author is considering swapping out a WiiKey for a D2CKey and that can't be done.

To find out more about the WiiKey and perhaps inform yourself a little more go here.

http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review-d2ckey-wii-modchip-d2c-only--79097.html

You have a nice day eh ;)

8. dg115506

dg115506 Member

I stand corrected and bow to your superior knowledge.

Cheers D........(it was tongue in cheek):-0

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Wiikey and D2CKey are manufactured by the same team. They both are top notch drive chips. The Modchips most of the time are perfectly fine and when installed right and updated properly work the way they should.

There are allot of factors that go into trouble shooting a modchip problem...

Bad ISO rip.
    Non-compatible media.
    Bad soldering joints.
    Wrong connections between the modchip and drive board.
    Overheating the Modchip or drive board during installation.
    Bridging of connections.
    etc. etc.

So more then likely when users are having issues it is due to a user issue not the Modchip itself.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  10. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

you forgot a reason

stupidity :p

11. juniR

juniR Guest

Well I knew the D2CKey team was responsible for Wiikey 1.9g firmware but didn't know they were the actual same manufacturers... live & learn eh lol.

(... and I didn't take offense dg - I knew it was a lil bit of wind up on ur part and my response to it was just me taking the piss for fun as well hehe).

12. Legs2701

Legs2701 Guest

HI Guys,

Sorry didnt mean to cause so much controversey. I have since been able to upgrade the 1.9G firmware and am still getting nowhere with ntsc games. About 15 of the 30 dont work so thats life however i am having no trouble with any of the other games so i guess I shouldn't complain thanks for all the info and I wont bother selling the wii think I will just stick with my wiikey and wait for the wii 2 to come out.....

13. juniR

juniR Guest

Legs - if you have a PAL Wii and it's only the NTSC games that don't work then it's prolly because you haven't enabled region override using the config disk for the Wiikey.

If you can't get the config disk to run then you should prolly look at this recent thread.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/595016