1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d2v file problem with DVD2AVI

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by djscoop, Jun 19, 2004.

1. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Okay, I'm attempting to copy part of a dvd to mpg1 using the dvd to svcd guide using tmpgenc. I know we're not suppose to ask framesever questions, but I can't find where the hell we are! When I'm transferring the VOB to wav and d2v in DVD2AVI, the output d2v file is under 100k, and takes less than 5 minutes. I know that the guide says if this happens my audio settings are wrong, but they aren't! I've done this before and it works fine! Plus, the wav file sounds fine, just no d2v file! Any suggestions?

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

heh ot happens to me a few times, try checking the directory it saved in, it will save at the last change directory, if you didn't change it. go to dvd2avi and save as and look at its path.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I just checked and ran DVD2AVI again, and same thing. I made sure the directory was the same. It creates the d2v file, its just really small.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

The D2V file is Supposed to be really Small because there is No Video information in the D2V file...
    The D2V file can be anywere from 75k to 500k depending on the Length and Resolution of the Movie...
    Also make sure in DVD2AVI that under "Help" that "VFAPI" has a Check mark next to it....

5. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

Please recheck the DVD2AVI audio settings
    of that guide you were using I think you missed a detail to it.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

THANK YOU MINION! you are a life saver. Like i said before, the audio settings are correct! but I didn't realize the d2v file is so small. so then when I recode to mpeg in tmpgenc then it reads directly from the VOBs???

7. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

Yes TMPGEnc is the best encoders out their it can do a lot of stuff.I encoded tons of files with tons of diffrent video formats and im suprised it worked.

8. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah, I've used tmpgenc many times before, but this is the first using dvd2avi as a frameserver. Someone should add in the guide that the d2v file is so small, cause it can easily be mistaken as an error. I've used d2v files before when editing in premiere, and they are much larger. this one must just contain details about the vob i guess

9. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

Yah your right!

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you can not use D2V files directly in Adobe Premier ,They are Just sign post files that Basicly just Point the encoder to the Source Vob or Mpeg2 file and they have some data that is used to fool the encoder into thinking it is reading an AVI file and not a Mpeg2 file...
    You can use a Tool called the "VFAPI Converter" to Convert the D2V file into a Psudo-AVI file that you can use in Premier or any other Program that supports AVI files...This Tool can also Convert Tmpgenc Project Files into Psudo-AVI files and Mpeg files into Psudo-AVI files, It is Pretty Handy for frameserveing to programs other than Tmpgenc and For poeple who don"t know how to use AVISynth to Frameserve.....

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah, I was thinking of M2V files. my mistake. thanks for the help minion

12. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

Yah M2V files are video only