1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAB Pure Digital 701es - Any Opinions

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by Oriphus, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I just bought the DAB Pure digital radio mentioned. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. I intend on connecting it to my Marantz SR5400 receiver using the Optical out on the back of the DAB to teh optical in on the Marantz. Also, im in the UK, any idea where to find out about radio stations that use DAB. I suppose i could do a search for it.

Also, anyone know what the quality of the DAb? What is the transfer rate of the signals beig received?

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

DAB is mp2, the less complex (less processing power for en-/decoding needed) and less efficient (bigger filesize @ comparable quality) "brother" of mp3.

Bitrate can vary, decent quality starts at 192kbps (should be a little bit better then lame 128kbps), but many radio stations use 128kbps. More information see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAB

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thanks Tigre. I should notice a great increase in quality though over a normal radio station broadcast on FM?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

On another note, can a signal be interrupted on DAB and lost completely? What are the advantages of the format over Analogue tuners, forgetting the quality issues...