1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad buying accessories for new Xbox for Christmas help..

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by Wyattspop, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Forgive my ignorance, but I've bought my son an Xbox 360 for Christmas (very gently used slim 4G) and wanted to know what accessories are worth buying? I bought a Kinect because he's 8 and will like jumping around, his favorite games will be Minecraft and anything Mario. Do I need an external HDD for game saves? Recall he won't be playing COD or any grown up games, I think he'd like Guitar Hero, Sports games etc so 4 Gigs might do for now, but I can see adding Homebrew at some point, he likes the interface on his Wii w/Homebrew. What to buy guys? I know nothing about Xbox Live etc. Thanks for the advice

2. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

3. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Thanks for that. I understand. Do you happen to know what the month/year is for consoles that can be modded a and which can't? I have 2 to choose from, both Slim 4G one July 2010 and one July 2011...I can live without Homebrew, but he will want to play Minecraft with other kids as he gets older.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

All can be modded,you just need to make sure you get an original xecuter modchip & not a fake or clone (google xecuter for listed approved resellers).once modded he can go online to LiNK (alternative to xbox live for modded consoles) see 2nd link in my sig,widget to the right on the web page shows top 5-10 games being played at the mo

If he wants xbox live then a flash of the dvd drive would be best or perhaps an xkey,however this assumes he doesn't switch consoles so is a little too soon to waste time on

5. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Losing the ability to Live is not a dealbreaker. What if I just mod one and not the other? (I have 2 Xbox's), can't I have the best of both worlds that way? Would Jtag or RGH be a better choice?
    Thanks Scorp

6. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

He has a Wii with tons of games, the main appeal for Xbox is he plays Minecraft PC and he wants to learn to make gameplay commentary videos for Youtube like his favorite guys, (Markaplier/Yamimash)

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

jtag requires a fat 360 type console with dash version lower than 7,so chances are you'll have to rgh with an xecuter

8. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Thanks Scorp, some guy offered to give me a Phat one modded to play backups on dual-layer disc, which means I would have to rip my owned disc to an iso, then burn it to a dual layer (not cheap), his deal was I'd give him my extra Slim 4G (2010) and $50 for his modded Phat. I would really prefer to keep the as-new 2011 Slim 4G and find someone to do the RGH, unless you think his deal is good.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Keep the slims you'll be better off

10. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Thanks, I assumed you'd say that, just got back from Gamestop and picked up a half dozen games for him. Probably too much to hope for, but does anything "interchange" like the balance board, Udraw tablet, Disney Infinity figures, Skylanders Portal, or do I need all new everything? 25 Infinity figs at $12 a pop would sting.

11. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i play psn online and i asked for a wireless headset for xmas.Its basically to communicate online for online play and online teams events, if your son is a team player then yeah a headset is better for online games.I also know you can get multi system compatible ones (xbox one,pc,ps3,ps4,xbox 360) all on the same headset.I got told logic3 works fine (someone i know got 1 in black friday sales in uk for £3 mainly for his son for xbox 360).

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

A headset is a must for team player games,tho for an 8 year old the communication will require monitoring from other players for swearing & other crap,sound output can be routed thru both headset & speakers at the same time

13. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Whoa, that deal is absolute rubbish. The slim alone is worth more than the modded phat. I personally would maybe pay 50$ for that modded console, but not more. You don't know what the guy did to that Xbox 360, you could basically end up buying a fixed RROD. But I managed to sell flashed Phats for around 80 Euro (that's something around 100 USD).

14. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

well i got my xmas present its an afterglow compatible with xbox 360,ps3,pc,wii and yeah works great apart from i got told my mic wasn't very loud (settings can boost mic volumn).it has dual output so works with tv and headset at same time.I havn't worked out how to run it on yamaha reciever but im guessing just have to hook audio cable to microphone socket (need a connecter as socket is too big), atm its connected to audio out on tv.

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Just so i don't confuse you the 360 has sound output settings to play voice thru headset & tv or in place of tv a stereo if you don't use inbuilt tv speakers,that will allow monitoring of other players language