1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damaged No-solder mod-chip?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Uriel, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Uriel

Uriel Member

I recently installed a no-solder mod-chip in my V7 (scph-39003) PS2. The reset and eject buttons function normally, and holding the eject button down does cause the reset light to turn orange and the tray to eject, however the tray stays out and does not automatically retract (futhermore, the console itself makes a nasty high-pitched whine when the eject button is held down). Is this systematic of a damaged mod-chip, or a bad install/console?

Also, If it is the mod-chip's fault, is it better to exchange it for a flip-top lid instead of another mod-chip?

Thanks for any advice.

2. schicky47

schicky47 Member

i have this exact same problem man, i have a v7 with a no solder. God its pissing me off already. It worked a few times but now its not working at all. If you have any updates, please let me know. Thanks

3. cheib

cheib Member

In my personal opinion I like the fliptop better. I have both in my system but I do not use the no solder modchip due too some of the feedback that it has recieved on this forum, I have heard of too many people with the problem you are having and I have also heard that alot of fuses inside the ps2 have been blown due to the no solder mod. Since I am not mechanically inclined and do not like to tinker with it the fliptop was the best thing that could happen for me, and it works great.

4. schicky47

schicky47 Member

Thanks, Maybe i will go to that instead, providing i can still send back my mod chip. Quick Question, do i still need the swap magic disks if i get the flip top? and has anyone heard if the flip top works well with v7?
    Thanks

5. cheib

cheib Member

you will still need the swap magic discs or gameshark or a/r but I think the swap magic is the best way to go.

6. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

if you hear a high pitched whining noise, yank that chip out before you pop a board fuse on your system. i had a no-solder chip kill 2 of my PS2's and they both had the same syptoms. The no-solder chip keeps power going to the tray motor while it is out in the "swap pause", because the tray is out and still getting power, it is in a binding state and draws higher current than the fuses on the board can handle, and it wil eventually pop the fuse(s). The flip tops are a better way to go, just for the fact that there is no electrical mod to the system, thus there is no risk of popping the fuses. the flip top works great for all versions of PS2. i like mine alot better than the no-solder chip. the swap is faster with the fliptop, and if your tray motor ever does go out on its own, you still can use your PS2 with the flip top._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Darthnip
    Too bad you can't buy a voodoo globe so that you could make the earth spin real fast and freak everybody out.

[/small]

Last edited: May 6, 2003
  7. schicky47

schicky47 Member

Thanks dar, you got my convinced that i shall go with the flip top. Any one know any canadian shipping sites that carry this product? or even any fast shipping american sites? I ordered once from modchipinc.com, took forever to get here, and i ordered from modchip.ca, they were fast, but i think this chip may be defective.

8. daclown81

daclown81 Member

I had the same thing happen. I think its either a bad chip or its not really a version 7 modchip. The place I ordered from claimed it was a version 7 chip, but I ordered a different version 7 chip from another company and it worked when that one didn't.