1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Side of Oz / Replacing DVD audio with Dark Side of the Moon

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by GasSnake, Feb 22, 2005.

1. GasSnake

GasSnake Member

I am interested in settling an old argument with some of my friends once and for all. As many of you have heard or personally seen, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon will sync up with The Wizard of Oz, creating an experience that really isn't believable until you've seen it for yourself - hence my dilemma. I want to create a DVD that is already synchronized so that when I go to prove it to them I don't have to fool with finding appropriate equipment and timing it just right.

Is there a good way to replace the audio on the DVD with the album? I've got a copy of IFOedit, but I read that it doesn't like XP too much, not to mention that being new at DVD authoring, IFOedit is a bit confusing.

I'd prefer to do this solely using my computer and not have to fool with video capture cards and the like.

Any suggestions?

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Rip the .vob's from the dvd to mpeg using Flaskmpeg.
    Demux the mpeg into separate audio and video streams in Tmpgenc's mpeg tools.
    Rip the audio from the Floyd CD using CDEX.
    Remux the new audio with the previous video, author and burn.
    It's not easy to get total sync, but a good sound editor such as Soundforge can do it.

3. GasSnake

GasSnake Member

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. The only issue that I can forsee is the timing has got to be just right. Trial and error, I suppose.

4. billwebso

billwebso Guest

If anyone has done this successfully, please post a detailed guide.

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

I'll get right on it <grin>.
    It's not as difficult as it sounds.
    The sync is trial and error, unless you use an app that can load the video and audio at the same time. Here's where Soundforge comes in.
    You can sync the audio to video much easier than any other app, unless you know the exact start point beforehand, then you can simply add or remove a portion from the start of the audio.
    You could do it with free tools, such as Audacity and virtualdubmod, then frameserve the in sync output from virtualdubmod to your encoder.

6. techjunki

techjunki Member

Hello, I have successfully accomplished "The Dark Side of OZ" DVD. This is how I did it:

1.) Using DVD Decrypter, rip the DVD in File Mode. Before ripping the DVD, however, make sure that you go to Tools->settings->File Mode->options->set file slpitting to none. This will rip the movie into one big .VOB(MPEG) file.
    2.) Next, you will need TMPG Express. Using the MPEG Tools, you can demultiplex the one big .VOB file into a separate audio & video file.
    3.) Now, rip "The Dark Side of the Moon" CD into .WAV (PCM) format. Then join all the .WAV files into one big long .WAV file. There are a number of programs that can do this. You should have no trouble finding one. My "Dark Side of the Moon" CD was ripped & converted to .MP3's. I just joined all the .MP3's together using MP3 Cutter/Joiner, then converted the long .MP3 to .WAV using Poikosoft Easy CD-DA Converter.
    4). Now you have to multiplex the audio (the ling .WAV file you just created) & the video file back together. The catch is the timing. I have found a solution for this. Using a program called "Audio Record Wizard", you can record absolutely nothing for 6 seconds in .MP3 format. This "silent .WAV" will be joined to the beginning of your long .WAV CD. It will just add 6 seconds of silence, which in turn times the synch perfect.
    5.) Now you may multiplex the audi + video together again with the MPEG Tools in TMPG Xpress. The result is a MPEG file in which you can edit with other programs. I used NeroVision Xpress to cut the file off when the floyd soundtrack ends (This is when the Tin-Man's heart beats and the sound-track ends with heart-beats) I also used NEroVision Express to make a fancy menu & finally burned it all to DVD. I hope this guide helps anyone trying to make this DVD. I really had fun doing this project. If you need any more help, I will reply back. Good Luck to the Dark Side!!!

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Do you know for a fact that exactly 6 seconds needs to be added to the beginning?
    If so, this could be done with totally free software.

8. techjunki

techjunki Member

Yes, it can be done with totally free software. I just used audio record wizard because it is extremely easy to use. You don't even have to pay for the software. It is shareware afterall(you only need to use it once). Anyways, 6 seconds of silence added to the beginning will time the DVD almost perfect!

9. techjunki

techjunki Member

When i say almost perfect, I mean all the syncs will be right-on target. I believe it is in fact perfect. I wish I could show you my copy. Try it and show your friends once and for all that you are right!

10. GasSnake

GasSnake Member

techjunki,
    I understand (though I've never seen this myself) that after the album ends, if you loop it, other odd background noises will sync up with the rest of the movie. I don't know if that's true or not, but I'm going to give it a shot when I go to do this. Thanks to all for the advice.

11. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Hey guys I saw this thread and remembered back in H/S seeing this "although memory is a little fuzzy". I decided to give it a shot, after a little searching I found a neat little webpage this I thought yall might like to check it out. http://www.everwonder.com/david/wizardofoz/

12. Zaius

Zaius Member

If anyone has a copy on DVD with the right sync, I would be happy to buy a copy of it.

13. techjunki

techjunki Member

You would like to buy a copy of it. well, i will give you a copy for free if you pay for the disc & postage. I think everyone that likes floyd shoud experience this.

14. Zaius

Zaius Member

Sounds great!!!
    What do you want for shipping and how and where do I send it to???

15. bcaddy

bcaddy Guest

UUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHH.....I HAVE TRIED FOR THE PAST 12+ HOURS TO DO THIS PROJECT WITH NO SUCESS. HERE'S WHAT I WAS DOING:I WOULD DECRYPT WITH DVDDECRYPTER, THEN I WAS USING "CDEX" TO RIP THE DARKS SIDE OF THE MOON(WHICH I HAVE ON DISC IT WAS A DOWNLOADED VERSION WHICH IS ONE CONTINOUS SONG/FILE)TO .WAV FILE. OKAY THEN I WOULD USE TMPGENC TO DEMUX THE "WIZARD OF OZ INTO SEPERATE AUDIO AND VIDEO FILES. THEN I WOULD TRY TO MULTIPLEX THE TWO BACK TOGETHER USING TMPGENC. HERE'S WHERE I GOT THE ERROR IT WOULD SAY "ILLEGAL MPEG AUDIO" OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT WHEN I WOULD SET THE LOCATION FOR THE AUDIO FILES. I STORED THE CONTINOUS .WAV FILE IN MY DOCUMENTS UNDER MY MUSIC IN A SUBFOLDER LABELED: THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON. FOR SOME REASON IT WON'T LET ME MULTIPLEX THEM TOGETHER. ANY IDEAS? I AM AT MY WITS END AFTER 12+ HOURS OF TRYING. ALSO I AM NEW TO USING TMPGENC NAD THE WHOLE DE-MUX/ RE-MUX THING SO ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED, I WILL NOT GIVE UP TILL I GOT A WORKING COPY!

16. GasSnake

GasSnake Member

First, slow down on the caps lock, chief. The problem it sounds like you are having is the same that I had. I believe, though I may be wrong, that TMPGenc is looking for Wave files in 48000 khz format while yours is most likely in 44000. You will need to convert using any audio program of your choice. It should work fine afterwards.

Thanks to the people on this board, I was able to make about 6 converts in two days, but I wouldn't have been able to do it without the advice.

Also, I don't know about the others, but I found that the proper amount of time to add to the beginning of the album is 10 seconds and not 6 to make it sync perfectly.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  17. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I did it using a capture card. I had Wizard of Oz on VHS, so I ran my VCR's video to the video input on the capture card. Then run the CD players audio outputs to the audio inputs on the capture card. Very simple. Synhcing it up was tough, took about 4 tries.

When this synch was first discovered, it was said to start Dark Side right after the MGM lion roars the third time, but since then they have come out with a new version of Wizard, the only difference being that they add this caption in the beginning that says, "For over forty years..." which lasts 8 seconds. If you have this version you will need to wait an extra 8 seconds before starting the Dark Side.

If synched up correctly, you will see the following:
    1) Track 2 (On the Run) will start right as Dorothy falls into the pigpen.
    2) The alarm clock you hear in the beginning of Time will be when you see the witch riding the bicycle.
    3) The Great Gig in the Sky will mellow out when Dorothy passes out on the bed.
    4) Money will start right when the movie turns color.

For more cool Floyd synchs check this out:
    http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/3528/pink_floyd_movie_syncs.html

I personally have done the following and they work:
    1) Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz
    2) Echoes (Track 6 on Meddle CD) with 2001: A Space Oddyssey - start echoes right along with Jupiter and the Infinite Beyond sequence, will continue for the rest of the movie.
    3) Alice in Wonderland (Disney version)/The Wall (skip Comfortably numb) - just synch the music with when the music would normally start on the movie. This one's only ok).
    4) A Clockwork Orange/Obscured by Clouds - start music right when movie starts.

18. DrSativa

DrSativa Member

I saw this already authored with dual audio. It was in alt.binaries.dvdrs i think if you have easynews or giganews it should still be there.

19. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i used to know a site that had albums/movies that synch up listed. if i can find it again, i'll post it if anyone is interested. it wasn't just pink floyd albums. the only one i remember is rush's 2112 cd with the movie willy wonka and the chocolate factory.

20. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005