1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Side of the Moon SACD problem? Please help..

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by 5882300, Jan 16, 2008.

1. lathimaro

lathimaro Member

I have an almost similar problem with Dark Side of the Moon. I can only hear stereo. I'm using a Denon 1940 SACD player hooked-up to a Denon AVR3808 via EXT-In. I've looked at the hardware and software setup numerous times withh no luck in hearing 5.1 sound like the sticker on the CD says I should. Any views on this ?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Did you set the distances and speaker levels, in the player's setup menus? When going through the multi-channel (Ext. In) connections, the player is doing the processing, not the receiver. There is usually no bass management either, when using these inputs. The receiver does nothing, except control the master volume. Most people don't do those settings, because they figure they already did them in the receiver's setup menus. But, since the player is doing the processing for these connections, the settings MUST be done, in the player's setup menus too. You might want to set the LFE setting up an extra 10 dB, when doing those settings.

3. bobchew

bobchew Member

yeah ive heard this sacd countless times by now...its not bad..even have converted into a multichannel file and dvd audio disc...dont have the gubbings too hear it normally so i do this little trick..plays back on pc...

4. 68vista

68vista Guest

I have the same player. I had to set the audio output to 5.1, and make sure the player is set in audio mode. There is also a speaker set-up page where you can direct the lows to a sub. Make sure you set all the speakers to small. Mine plays SACD's better than my PS3 because of the bass management! I only wish the speaker distance set-up was better.

5. JLM

JLM Member

Same problem here, although I'm using an old pioneer DV-585A going to ext-in's in Denon AVR1907. I've tried everything I can think of but I'm only getting two channels and I think it's not even the SACD 2 channel, but just the regular CD. Anyone have any ideas what could be keeping the player from detecting the sacd's?

6. bobchew

bobchew Member

ok well couple of years ago i treated myself to a Samsung HD950 it was about £120 then..you can pick one up on ebay for around £60 or £70 (they are quite popular) ive played the pink floyd sacd countless times by now..the player is quite happy with my yamaha amp...so thats ok..look, if anyone wants to hear this SACD so much..then its simple, go onto mininova.org and download the many conversions thats been made from ..eg dts cd or better still download the 96Khz 24bit 5.1 WMA Pro file..its been up there for ages..at least that way you get to hear the album at last!!!..

7. JLM

JLM Member

Well I'd rather have my DVD player workin like it should. Besides the wma pro version of the record doesn't have any seeds.

8. bobchew

bobchew Member

I'm a seed..that answer yer question...

9. 68vista

68vista Guest

I don't claim to be as much an expert as some people, but I'll see if I can assist in some way. First thing, do you have any straight SACD disks, not a hybred? If not, can you borrow one and see if it will play. You may know this already, but some players have an audio mode. Is yours in audio mode? Does this player use HDMI, and are you using it for watching regular video dvd's? Have you tried disconnecting it, not only with the cable, but also in set-up? It may be blocking SACD playback. Do DVD-A disks play correctly? Are there any lights that say "SACD", and are they on? Do you have the manual? If not, maybe you can get a copy of it somehow, like from someone else here that has the same model.

10. 68vista

68vista Guest

11. 68vista

68vista Guest

12. bobchew

bobchew Member

Ok this thread has been going on a long time..i appreciate that ideally that ppl would like to hear the actual disc fprm the actual player ..true...im not sure why sony plumbed in the sacd feature into what is in effect a games console...the amount of arguements ive heard about pro sacd or anti sacd ive lost count..and its it a redundant format yes/no..well look sony and philips developed it so why drop it..telarc and linn and many others have invested heavily in it..so i cant see it being dropped over night...im not a gamer..i guess im a bit of an audiophile really so when i saw the SAMSUNG HD950 appear i went for it.before that i had a cheap YAMADA player that played DivX as well as the usual stuff..i did notice that it also played DTS CDs as well as AC3 CDs (not mentioned in the manual) and the thing that struck me was that you'd see very expensive known brand players JVC/PIONEER etc etc all costing a fortune and causing nothing but grief for the owners of these players..wheras el cheapo decks like mine would just get on it with the job, and even throw in unexpected bonuses eg the dts cd playback so it was i guess a 'nerds' deck for ppl like me who like to experimnet with stuff on their pc as as opposed to a real rich guy Hifi buff...anyway it did the job thats the thing so to me treating yourself to a SAMSUNG HD950 ON EBAY for about £60 -£70 still seems a good idea to me...my mate even bought one for his dad as he was impressd with it.
    quite why samsung has decided to remove the DVD Audio and SACD feature since is beyond me...but all im saying is this..i got an entry level SACD /DVD Audio player that does DivX and DTS Cds and upscales and has HDMI cable as well as DVI cable and it all works ok..so why mess around with all this hassle with the PSP 3 and HDMI stuff..get the HD950 and a halfway decent analog amp plus cable and speakers and there you go,,end of grief...

btw the WMA Pro file was an option i offered as i all ive heard on here is why cant i hear this pink floyd album in surround..well i have and many many times..its ok really, nothing to jump up and down about..i have other albums that really do leap around the speakers let me tell you,,the beatles LOVE DVD Audio is a work of art in that respect.. so ok if its just about hearing this album then just download the WMA PRO 96/24 5.1 or even the crappy dts cd...and YES there are SEEDERS..i was one...and there are lots of others..failing that im sure there are other methods of delivery..

ok get a HD950 and amp and enjoy...OK?.

13. JLM

JLM Member

Thanks for the help. I actually borrowed another sacd from the library and it worked just fine. Both were hybrids so there seems to be something wrong with the dsotm disc I have. Maybe there's a scratch in some key spot of the disc or something.

@bobchew You seem to take it for granted that everyone has their computer hooked up to their home cinema system. Btw, can you point the torrent that you are seeding? The only one I found only has two leechers but I haven't seen anyone seeding so far.

14. bobchew

bobchew Member

I dont assume anythng trust me!!...its just thats how i work..purely in terms of economy....ok I will direct you to the download..or there may even be a way i can get a direst download going for you..if i can get the file to upload without the connection breaking...after all i put the torrent up there in the first place...i made the file as result of this thread..so many ppl having problem with this disc i decided to create the file..that way others would at least have chance to hear the damn thing at last..

15. bobchew

bobchew Member

Ok go to www.piratebay.net or org and you will quite a few TDSOTM SACD CONVERTS you could try them all theres a FLAC 5.1 version at about 600mb not sure what the samplng rate is..i do mine always at 96/24 this one has 16 seeds 17 leechers
    so give that a go..if you want to can to to mininova.org and pull down my 'Tommy' (the who) as a file or DVD Audio convert..ok that any good to you?

16. bobchew

bobchew Member

i just noticed that its 44.1khz 16bit and the torrent uploaded downsampled it from MLP file..hmmm i dont thnk this album came out as DVD Audio ..did it? if not may i assume its been created from MY sacd to dvd audio convert...hmmmm