1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark spots on bottom of burned DVD in DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Vladibus, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Vladibus

Vladibus Member

I always use DVD Shrink to backup my movies. I use TDK media and have also noticed the problem on Ritek and Samsung media.
    Sometimes, if I hold a burned DVD up to the light and hold it at a certain angle, I can see 1 or 2 small, dark spots on the DVD. It's hard to describe. It looks almost like a very small spot on the dvd didn't burn. It looks as if the spot is the same color as the DVD was before I burned it. The movie plays fine and the DVD passes any integrity tests I throw at it. Is this normal? I can't notice the spots unless I hold it up to the light and look for it hard but it is there. Anybody else experience this?

2. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi Vladibus. :)

My guess is the media was a bit dusty before you burned to it.
    A small speck of dust can have the effect you describe.

Some dvd-backupers go to the extent of using compressed air on the media before to burn to it. ;)

3. Vladibus

Vladibus Member

Hi DDlooping!

Actually I am one of those people who use a can of comressed air before I burn! I always have a can gandy and I make sure the disk is VERY clean before I start burning. Well, I am beginning to think ti may be my DVd burner. I am going to buy another one tonight and try it out. If I have the same problem, I will take it back. Take it easy.

4. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Was my guess wrong or what??!! :D
    Sorry I can't be of help. ;)

5. Vladibus

Vladibus Member

Actually you are probably right!
    I'm going to try this new burner and see if it still happens.

6. jg2004

jg2004 Member

This has happened to me when I haven't burned the dvd at the correct speed. I had Ri-Disc Ritek G04s which are 4 speed and tried doing them at 8 speed in my hacked pioneer 107D and it gave that effect, the same with other cheaper 4 speed media. But when I tried the new 4 speed Datawrite Yellow V2 Ritek G05 disk at 8 speed there are no marks/bloches whatsoever. And before I burned I always make sure the disk is clean so thats what I put it down to.............but I could be wrong!!

7. michigan

michigan Guest

I put a finger print on one once and it sure looked cool after it was burned.
    Sorry for the off topic comment, I couldn't resist.

8. shark29

shark29 Member

Vladibus,

I am curious, did your new burner fix this problem? I have had the same problem with the TDK and Memorex media I have burned lately. There are one or two very tiny spots that are dark and appear to be areas not burned to. However, the media plays fine so I am at a loss for what causes these spots. Do you see these spots with your new burner?

9. brian100

brian100 Guest

Vladibus

I tend to agree with jg2004. Reducing burn speed can reduce this problem dramatically. I too have suffered in the past from this problem.