1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dash Problems

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Romeo2K, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Romeo2K

Romeo2K Member

Well i just picked up an xbox on the cheap at a goodwill, And im trying to get it to work, Guess i got what i payed for... XD
    I'm a newb when it comes to xbox stuff (playstation and nintendo up until now) so bear with me.

It's been giving errors 16's on the maintenance screen, So i followed this guide: http://www.teammodders.com/forum/how-to-hotswap-and-recover-a-hd-without-an-eeprom-backup-t91.html
    And i've tryed it with 2 different dashes that are said to be full and clean that i download from bitorrent and slayers disc.
    Problem is after doing it the first time with still gave me the error 16's.
    and the second time it goes to load the dash and freezes, then reboots the xbox, then continues a loop of this, also the microsoft logo shows on this one where it doesnt any other time.

I've used the file broser on hboxhdm to compare files and the only differences are in the e: drive, so i just cleared the e: drive except for the 3 folders that are needed to be int here (cache, udata, tdata or whatever} and put all the dash files in the c: drive and it just boots to error 16 again.

Im not able to do evox and what not from my dvd rom as i dont have a dvd burner, i do have cd burners but i have thompson dvd reader in the xbox and it wont read the discs.

And i dont have access to another xbox to do a hotswap between the 2 or a clock set.
    Im really stuck here... i dont want to do a modchip right now, ill do softmods if i can and it will get it running.

Any help, info, advise and such appreciated. Im pretty ready to give up on it until i get access to another box at this point and stick with playstation :p.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

well, you can try a hotswap but you do that between your Xbox and your PX. You do not need two xbox's
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/how-to-hotswap-and-recover-a-hd-without-an-eeprom-backup-t91.html

but in order to do pretty much anything at this point your drive needs to be able to read a CD. I know you do not want to hear this, but a modchip (DuoX2 GT) is your best overall bet. Then you can scrap that hard drive and install a real one, like a nice 250GB drive. It would cost you about $100 though.
    $22 for chip, $35 for install, $20 to ship each way.

3. Romeo2K

Romeo2K Member

Bleh,
    Well i've already been doing the hotswap/xboxhdm method and it's not working. (read above)

I was hoping i could just get the files necessary to get the dash booted so i can ftp or go further into it, really i would just be happy with a stock/factory xbox setup for now.

Seemed like an easy fix at first but it's proving not to be, unless i'm doing something wrong.

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Eeprom reader, get eeprom, rebuild complete HDD and install! Parts for reader are about $5 and the instructions are around somewhere...

5. steimy

steimy Active member

If you can not access the dashboard, then you most likely will not be able to FTP either. If it will read a burned DVD then you can use an auto installer like AID 3.1 or Slayer 2.7 to possibly install a new dash and fix it. As long as the mod that gave you the hacked dash in the first place still works it should load the disc. YOu have to put in the disc and then reset the console so it loads.

6. Kronyk420

Kronyk420 Member

I had the same problem with a box, it sounds like a cache issue. Go back into your E: drive and delete the contents of E:/cache. Then delete the contents of the X, Y, and Z drives. Reboot your box and it should work.

I've found that copies of other's HDDs still contain the cache files from the original box. These files are not deleted by the new box and take up valuable limited space in the directory. Even deleting just E:/cache may fix your problem.

Good luck!

Another good program for exploring the Xbox HDD is Xplorer360. You still have to hotswap the drive, but Xplorer360 runs from windows and you can drag and drop files to transfer.