1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.DAT files...

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by wah28, Sep 9, 2004.

1. wah28

wah28 Member

i've downloaded a couple of movies... and they are in .DAT files...i use VLC to watch them...but if want them on vcd...do i just burn it normally...or do i have to convert it..

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

yes you do, when you extract the file from the vcd image with isobuster select the option "extract but filter only m2f2 mpeg frames" then when it asks you where and what name you want the file to be just put a .mpg on the end of avseq01 and this will extract and give you a true mpeg which can then be burned as a vcd with nero or whatever u prefer.

on the other hand if the file you have is an image, like a bin and cue file, just load up the cue file into your favourite burning app and burn.

also if you only have the .dat file and not the image, you can convert the .dat to a mpeg with vcdeasy by going to tools>>mpegtool>>then load the .dat in the cdxa2mpeg section and hit convert and thats it, again you can use nero to create a vcd with the mpeg file.

you can get a freeware version of vcdeasy here:http://linux04.wekanet-team.de/download/8c5/vcdeasy1152.exe

you can get isobuster here:http://www.isobusterdownload.com/isobuster_eng.zip

3. mombutu

mombutu Member

Pardon the interruption, but I have a similar question. I have a *.dat file in my hard drive of my sons volleball game. When I try to burn it using SonicDVD it tells me that it is not supported. When I try to convert it using the vcdeasy it tells me that cdxa2mpeg.exe execution failed - Unknown chunk id encountered - file is not an mpeg file with riff header (dat file).

Any idea what this means? I'd really like to be able to change this file into something that I can put on either dvd or vcd.

Thanking you in advance for your help,
    Mombutu