1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

data backup/transfer not working... please help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by {TKO}, Jun 24, 2007.

1. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

Here's my scenario, geeks of Afterdawn unite and form like Voltron PLEASE.

First off I am not certified or degreed in computers, but I am no beginner either. I know my way around them and have fixed the occasional problem on PC's other than my own. I was finally convinced to take on a paying job. I got "hired" to upgrade storage on a VERY OLD PC. Pentium II IBM - OLD. It has a 4GB HD that is packed to the gills and they need more storage space.

So I thought since I have a PC that's just sitting here, I would take $150 for it and transfer ALL the data including OS to the newER computer. I have Acronis True Image, but it won't load on the 4GB PC because there isn't enough space. There really isn't any files or proggies I can delete to create space. So I took out the HD, set it as a slave on my PC and backed it up(after some cleaning and fixing - the thing had 28 viruses and 500+ registry errors).

Loaded the back up onto the 20GB from the PC I'm selling them and it loaded just fine. BUT, when I try starting the newER PC, it gives me a blue screen. If, I try safe mode it starts up just fine. So, after a lot of tinkering I figured, install a 6GB HD my friend had lying around and just put it in the older PC. I figured the 20GB was too big. So, now I have a 6GB and a 20 GB HD that are loaded with the backup, but will not boot. They both give a blue screen but load in safe mood.

Side question: My friend says he's done it. I've never tried, but I say it shouldn't work. Can you take a working HD out of one PC, out it another PC and have it boot with no problems(OS and files/folders intact)?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unless the PCs are very similar, you'll get a BSOD. I do when I try it with my two PCs. And that's before I install any drivers!

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what windows are you using tho i think win98?

4. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

XP all the way around

5. ddp

if both boards are using different chipsets then xp will barf & do the bsod.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is it definitely the chipset? Or just some drivers as a result. I know the Radeon Xpress 200 and the nforce 650 don't agree, but that's to be expected!

7. ddp

is the chipset. if 1 board uses intel chipset & 2nd uses via or any other then xp will barf. if chipset are fairly similar then have chance that windows won't barf but run in safemode for 1st time.

8. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

I believe the older PC is Pentium and the newER one is Celeron.

9. ddp

talking about chipset on the motherboard not cpu.

10. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

ahhh... sorry