1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data cd on nero help.

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by dundee77, Mar 1, 2007.

1. dundee77

dundee77 Member

I feel like throwing my laptop out the window, until recently when making a data cd i had no bother puting my files in order, now nero puts them where it wants, i have tried puting them on one by one, puting numbers before and after them but the files appear random and not in order i put them. any ideas please?. I am using cd-r disks.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I don't quite understand what you mean. Is this a joke? If not, you're gonna feel REAL silly.

On an audio CD, sure, Nero will order the tracks in the order that you drag them (unless you intervene) so that the first music track you drag will become track 1, the second will become track 2, etc on the finished audio CD.

However, the 'order' of files on a data CD does not have any meaning at all. The order that you see them in Explorer depends on how you have set the "arrange icons by" in "view" in the menu.

Let's say I have the following files which I burn to a CD

They have the names, sizes and creation dates shown.

apples.doc 5,000 bytes 1st January 2006
    bread.doc 4,000 bytes 1st July 2006
    cake.doc 3,000 bytes 1st November 2006
    dog.jpg 2,000 bytes 1st October 2006

Now I burn them to a data cd. The disk burns, it's finished, the drawer opens, I push it back in. The disk spins up, I open Windows Explorer to see the files.

If the view is "arrange icons by name", they will show up in this order in Explorer:-

apples.doc
    bread.doc
    cake.doc
    dog.jpg

(Alphabetical order, ascending)

If you reselect that option when it is already selected, the order is reversed to descending.

If the option is "arrange icons by size" then they would show up like this:-

dog.jpg
    cake.doc
    bread.doc
    apples.doc

because dog.jpg is the smallest and apples.doc the biggest.

You can also sort them ascending or descending, by type, date modified, date created, and a whole bunch of other things.

Can you guess how they will be sorted if they were sorted by "date created"?

My guess, if this is not a troll, is that you or somebody else has changed the "arrange icons by" setting in Windows Explorer. How long, exactly, have you had a computer?

There are plenty of books you can get that explain this sort of thing. There is a well known series (in fact i can think of two) that might be handy for you.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007