1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data DVD won't read or eject until restart?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by luckynugs, Nov 30, 2007.

1. luckynugs

luckynugs Member

Hello,

In the last 6 monthes or so, when I insert a burned data dvd, my drive will unsuccessfully try to read it and the disc will not eject. The green busy light flashes constantly and I am unable to eject using either the eject button or right-clicking eject. However, upon a restart with the drive already inserted, the disc reads fine and I'm able to eject it.

This occurs with roughly 30 percent of discs and the rest of the discs will work consistently without a problem. The discs are usually the cheap-o Memorex dvds but it will still happen with something of a higher grade like Sony. I am aware of the pinhole method of opening dvd-drives but it doesn't seem applicable to this problem as the discs aren't really 'stuck', but rather won't eject. It seems to be a technical rather than mechanical problem.

This is more of an annoyance than an emergency, but I would like to try solving it if possible.

Some general specs-
    PC and all components about 2 years old
    TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B drive
    Windows XP
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    768mb ram

Everything is up-to-date but finding a new driver/update for my dvd drive is confusing to say the least.

Any speculation/solution to this prob. will be appreciated.

2. attar

attar Senior member

I have some Maxell blank disks that show similar problems.
    To regain control, I run 'ImgBurn' (it's a program for writing DVD files to disk).
    As it runs it tries to take control of the drive - so try that first.
    When things have settled down, click 'Tools' > 'Drive' > 'Check for firmware updates' and it will try to locate the latest firmware for the drive (needs internet access).
    Perhaps the 'driver' you refer to is actually the firmware?

http://www.imgburn.com/

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

What program did you use to burn the discs? Are they all data discs?

4. luckynugs

luckynugs Member

GrandpaBW - nero 6, all data discs.

attar - I downloaded the program, but when I run the firmware check, the website appears to be down. http://forum.rpc1.org Before it goes to the website, it says I'm currently running HP13.

Thanks guys

5. attar

attar Senior member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Are you using packet writing software to burn that data? In Nero, it would be InCD, which should be used only for immediate transfer of data from one computer to another.

7. firh78

firh78 Member

this is the same thing with my dvd drive TSSTcorp cd/dvdw TS-H653L the firmware its up to date and the driver its ok. mine does that with any cd or dvd

8. luckynugs

luckynugs Member

Sorry for the absence, I haven't been burning until recently.

I am still getting the original problem. I uninstalled nero 6 and installed nero 8 and tried a burn and an old problem came back-
    The burn process [data dvd] now takes 40-60 minutes. It had done this when I originally got my new tower and then stopped for some unseen non-deliberate reason. I could burn data dvds in 15-20 mins. I tried uninstalling nero 8 and using imgburn but the problem persists.

After googling some, I kept coming across DMA must be enabled. I checked in device manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>Secondary IDE Channel>Properties>Advanced Settings>Transfer Mode - I set it to DMA if available, but it stays locked on PIO Mode. There is a process to possibly force dma, but before that, I just want to make sure my DVD drive and not my hard drive is on the secondary channel. I look in BIOS and my two hard drives are primary master and slave, dvd drive secondary master. Does this mean the DVD drive is on the secondary channel?

Does enabling DMA make all the difference?

9. luckynugs

luckynugs Member

I fixed the slow write problem by uninstalling the secondary ide channel. I ran into a snag when trying to re-install it but it was solved by uninstalling alcohol 120%. DMA is now enabled on my drive and a dvd data write took about 10 minutes :).

I'm too tired to test my original problem, but I'll update the thread in the future if it is fixed.

10. luckynugs

luckynugs Member

Sorry to reply to such an old thread, but I seem to have found the problem - Discjuggler. Uninstalling it allows me to open my DVD tray.

11. attar

attar Senior member

Thank you for following up with the solution.