1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

data error cyclic redundancy check error when using DVD shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by etherburn, Mar 5, 2005.

1. etherburn

etherburn Guest

I get this error message Failed to read file D:/
    data error cyclic redundancy check error when using DVD shrink. It stops at 82 percent and then the error message appears.
    How do I fix this problem?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What movie are you trying to backup? You may want to make sure to clean and buff out the DVD the best you can. Even the slightest mar can effect ripping.

3. etherburn

etherburn Guest

The grudge,harlold and Kamar

4. etherburn

etherburn Guest

how do I clean it and buff it out with

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Crc errors? You likely have different causes between both those movies.I will explain:

Crc errors mean there is a bad spot on those original discs.It could be a big fat fingerprint,scratches,or a bum pressed disc-if it is from the original dvd.

I clean every dvd that goes in my dvd-rom drive with eyeglass cleaner and a silk/lint-free rag.Wipe in the direction from center hole to outside edge, in a straight line,never wipe in circles or around the disc. If it is heavily damaged, you may have to get a disc repair kit,or take it somewhere that specializes in disc repairing. Or you can take it back for a replacement copy,like I usually do.

But,with these newer sony arcos encryptions,dvd shrink will give that that same crc error on the initial analyzing,like mine did on THE GRUDGE.After I turned on my background ripper called andvd by slysoft,dvd shrink was able to rip the grudge.Yet it could also be damaged.If you do the main movie on the grudge-main movie only- You might have to set the start point of the movie to the frame with "lady liberty". That darn encryption did something on the first few frames on the main movie. Editing those frames out,allowed for a perfect copy.Just a little info you may want to know on that movie.It was a pain in the a**!

With that newer encryption,it's getting harder to figure out if we get bad discs,or that encryption is screwing us up.The grudge and resident evil apacolyse are 2 movies that I recall that gave that crc error and I got them to rip successfully with a different program or anydvd.

I can't recall the encryption on harold and kumar,I may have had anydvd running in the background.Dvd shrink and nero had no trouble with it.

Dvd decrypter in it's latest version has been updated for these newer encryptions,it's a more powerful ripper, and can even rip a damaged copy using rip with brute force and ignore all read errors in it's preference tab. It's free so you may want to give it a shot.

6. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

I did Harold and Kumar, ripped with Decryptor. Re-authored main only, then burned with Nero. No problems at all.

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Shrink alone is able to rip white castle. As for the grudge or any other tristar/columbia release since mid december, you will need to use the latest version of dvd decrypter(free) or anydvd in the background. Like I said before, make sure all the dvds you're backing up are as clean as possible to avoid any problems during the ripping process. Good luck