1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by durantk, Oct 27, 2004.

1. durantk

durantk Member

Has anyone experienced this type of error when backing up a DVD if so what can I do to correct? After I select open disc the program starts to read it then it stops and gives me the error "Failed to read file" Data Error (cyclic redundancy check).

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

CRC error is usually a dirty, scratched or bad factory disc.

Next time try the search function ... this has been discussed many, many times.

3. durantk

durantk Member

I thought of that but most were new when I was trying to back them up right out of the box.

4. flip218

yea, some discs can have a bad press from the factory. If this is happening with every disc then I would rule out dirty, scratched or damaged.

Can you back some up?

What are you using to rip? Shrink or Decrypter?

5. durantk

durantk Member

I was using Shrink. Although I have tryed to Decrypter It did not work as well.

6. flip218

Is it with every movie or just a few?

7. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

Strange because I have had this happen on a few discs but they were definitely the ones with scratches on the surface and that was the reasoning behind the errors.

8. durantk

durantk Member

Just a few are being affected. I would say most of the new DVD's I wanted to back up.

9. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

What do you consider new?

I have been backing up new stuff like Van Helsing, Dawn of the Dead etc... without issue to date.

10. durantk

durantk Member

I'm talking about right out of the box new. Mostly children DVD's

11. aut0psy

aut0psy Regular member

Very strange as I back up children's DVD's like no tomorrow. Which ones are you having issues with?

12. flip218

durantk,

What drives are you using? Have you tried cleaning your drives?

13. rickdputo

rickdputo Member

i'm having the same issue. My problems starting when I upgraded to a HP dvd630. If I disconnect the writer, DVD shrink works fine. I've tried c/s, master and then slave. I still get the same error. I've tried removing DVD shrink and reinstalling and I'm still having trouble. Need some help. thanks

14. Svenstons

Svenstons Guest

Error is defo down to scratches/dirt on disk mate. I get the error all the time. Could even be the grease off your finger tips. I use those wet wipes for cleaning your computer screen. It seems to have the best result. If this does'nt work then it will most likely be your DVD reader having a poor laser.

15. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

almost every disc I put in to my recorder ( sony 510) comes up as a cyclic redundancy error. First it comes up as a copy protection error and then it says error. I dont mean to hijack your post but there are a lot of these posts and I was wondering if you got the protection error as well. Ive tried willy wonka, shrek 2, arrested development, and there are all straight out of the box. also has anyone else heard that using sharpies (markers) can ruin your disc.

16. durantk

durantk Member

These are some of the same DVD's that I have tried to back up but I got the same errors. I cleaned the drive and I continue to get the same thing. I've taken basicly every taken most of the programs off the computer that I thought would have a conflict with the program but that did not work. I have NEC-DVD drive ND 2500A. I don't know if this drive is the problem.

17. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

I just had this problem with Shrek. I am trying DVD Decrpyt as I am typing this to see if that works. I did notice however that the disc has scratches on it. So if it does not work with DVD Decrypt I will assume it is because of the scratches. I have not had this problem on any other DVD I backed up using SHRINK and I have burned many a dvd.

18. regor

regor Regular member

it is not my intent to cause consternation or any state of paralyzing dismay but some drive manufacturers warn against certain methods of cleaning. So just as fyi:

[bold]Article ID. G00048

Does Plextor recommend cleaning the inside of CD drives?

Plextor drives are sealed against external contamination, so in a normal computer environment and with normal use, a drive should not require internal cleaning. However, if your drive has been in use for some time, is now out of warranty, and has just recently started to exhibit read/write problems, you may want to use a short blast of Electronics-grade (sterile, filtered, moisture-free) canned air aimed at the center of the drive. Do not use any solvent-based cleaners, and do not use an air compressor, as damage can be inflicted upon the drive by the high pressure blast. If your drive is in warranty and you are experiencing problems, it would be best to send the drive to Plextor without invoking this step. Under no circumstances is the use of a CD Cleaning Disc recommended. Cleaning Discs that use a felt pad can scratch the laser lens surface and render the drive inoperable. Some cleaning discs with brushes may also scratch the lens and, since these cleaning discs are often out of balance, their operation can be very noisy.[/bold]

Hope this info is of some use.

R

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  19. Burnrider

Burnrider Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you get these CRC error messages, is it because you are trying to back-up an already backed-up DVD-/+R copy? After reading all your messages, I investigated this problem myself. I found a few old DVD's that I didn't want and scratched them up, and when I went to shrink it, it came out perfect. I did this with a few DVD's and the same result, everytime. Now, when I tried backing a DVD-/+R copy. I get the message you are all talking about.

In the past with CD-R's, I've had the same problems. Not because the CD's were scratched up, but because the software did not like what it was reading. This was due to how the previous copy was backed up or incompatiblity issues with the software.

I hope this gives everyone an insight into what the problem could be, I'm not a boffin or anything. Just from past experience and fiddling around.

20. durantk

durantk Member

The DVD's that I was having problems with are new DVD's not a copy. It is posssible that there is a program that may be preventing shrink to work properly.