1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy check)

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bigdm, Nov 27, 2004.

1. bigdm

bigdm Member

I have 2 cases where I am getting this "Data Error (Cyclic Redundacy check)" message.
    i) When I click on Import DVD in Nero Recode 2 or click on Open Disk in DVD Shrink 3.2, I get this message during the analyzing step of an orignal DVD disc.
    ii) I have 2 DVD files which I saved using Nero Recode 2 on my hard drive. When I tried to burn these files a week later to a blank disc I get this message no matter whether I use Nero Recode 2 or DVD Shrink 3.2.

On the 2 DVD files on my hard drive, do I need to go through the analyzing part if I have gone through that once. Just to let you know I am using DVD43 and I have burned DVD files saved to my hard drive many times to disc.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. nybod1

nybod1 Guest

Hi,

Did you ever get a resolution to this?

Thanks...

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

A CRC means your drive isn't able to read part of the disc. This is usually caused by a dirty or scratched disc, a bad factory original, dust on the laser lens, a failing drive or a poorly burned copy. Any of these ring a bell?

4. bigdm

bigdm Member

The original DVD disc I have does have stracthes on it but it plays okay in the DVD player. I cleaned it with solution used to clean computer monitors and tried reading it again but I still got the error.
    As for as the copies on my harddrive they were copied from a friend so I don't have the originals to determine if they were dirty or had stracthes. If Recode 2 was able to read them the 1st time why can't it be read now since it was burned directly to my hard drive. These are not a copy of a copy

5. Nephilim

Standalone DVD players are built to handle small read errors whereas when you try to rip the film bit for bit in a PC drive it'll choke.

I would imagine if Recode was able to rip the disc to your hard drive that it would be fine but obviously this isn't the case here and I'm at a loss to explain why. Have you drefragged your hard drive lately?

6. bigdm

bigdm Member

The hard drive which I temporarily store my DVD files is 160 GB. I presently have used up less than 12 GB so disk clean and defragment does not help which i tried.

Is there anyway to burn the 2 files already on the HD without having to go throught the "import DVD" part of Recode 2?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  7. Nephilim

If they're small enough to fit a blank you should be able to burn the VIDEO_TS folder as data with Nero Burning ROM or any standard burning app for that matter.

8. bigdm

bigdm Member

Is there a Nero Burning ROM guide that I can follow? Both files should be less than 4.7 GB since I checked the fit to 4.7 GB box and deleted Extra scenes.

9. bigdm

bigdm Member

I followed the below guide to burining with Nero ROM that was given by ScubaPete to another Newbie. I got redundancy errors as well.

Follow this guide -

OK zen, is everyone comfy ? Goot - its now time for - -
    "Uncle" ScubaPete's German, goose Step by goose Step, Let's burn with Nero 6 Guide -

First - Do not use Nero Wizard -
    Please follow EXACTLY -
    Vhen you open Nero Burning ROM, you vill be at zee "New Compilation" window. Directly under the title "New Compilation" is a choice block to choose either zee DVD or zee CD, choose zee "DVD". Directly under that click on zee "DVD Video Icon." Then click "New" in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT zee main screen.
    You now are in zee "DVD Video" window. In zee left screen, click "VIDEO_TS". In zee "File Browser" screen, 3rd from zee left, trace your path to zee VIDEO_TS folder, zee one you made earlier holding all of your files and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in zee right screen. Click on zee top file, hold down zee "Shift" key and then click zee bottom file thereby hi-lighting zee entire column of files. Click and (holding zee left mouse button down) drag zee entire column of files to zee open screen, second from zee left and release zee mouse button. Now click zee icon on zee task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click "OK" and now, clear zee room, stand up tall and shout out, "Burn Baby, BURN" ! One more time, let me hear you say it, "Who's your Daddy Now ???"

See how that does -

Pete

10. V1ralIV

V1ralIV Member

i kinda have the same problem when i analyze with shrink it stops at last 3 secs of the disc. so i looked at it and cleaned it. now i tired it again same thing.then i looked closer with a lamp and i saw a little scratch on the edge it's not deep or nething. is there a way to skip dis part? i dun care if i can't c last few min of video. and i tried dvdlab and it couldn't read it neither. i was able to copy the dvd to my hard drive but i am missing the files on the edge. do u get wat i'm saying?

Tnx

11. Nephilim

If you're still getting the CRC there's not much hope for salvaging them as far as I know. Do they play fine in a software player such as PowerDVD or WinDVD?

12. V1ralIV

V1ralIV Member

It works perfectly till where it gets to the part missing the files ( ripped non compressed version )

It plays perfectly from DVD

13. Nephilim

Off your hard drive, correct? What missing files?

14. bigdm

bigdm Member

I don't play any DVDs on my computer so I can't say whether they work or not. I am giving up on these and will borry them from my friend again. Thanks for all the help.

15. Nephilim

No problem :)

16. V1ralIV

V1ralIV Member

the back up in the drive has all the files and the right file size but mayb this is because it a mounted iso on a virtual drive. so i tried ripping w/ dvd encrypter in file mode and i can't rip VST_03_0.ifo, vst_03_0.vob, vst_03_1.vob

17. V1ralIV

V1ralIV Member

BUMP im desperate im sorry

18. Nephilim

Ok, I'm thoroughly confused.

By this you mean the files are on your hard drive since they have to be in order to be mounted in a virtual drive. Then you go on to say this,

If the files are on your hard drive why are you trying to rip them again?

Do us both a favor and explain in detail what you're trying to accomplish and what errors or problems you're having.

19. bigdm

bigdm Member

Nephilim,
    Could he be having the same problem that I had where I was able to burn the files to my hard drive initially but after about week I wanted to burn the files to an actual DVD disc but Recode2 kept giving me CRC error when trying to analyze the files in the VIDEO_TS folder I burned on the hard drive.

20. V1ralIV

V1ralIV Member

when i ripped it i made an ISO it was showing it had all the files. this might be because of the table of contents cause when i ripped it i skipped a few files. when i did it in file mode it was missing the same files as b4. what i want to do is skip these files but still be able tu shrink it. i don't care if i'm missing part of the dvd

BTW its not encrypted

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004